Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnflower_lover

Candle question

Tnflower_lover
16 years ago

This a post from '04' I would love to know more about how to do this, any help will be great.

"I am into fast quick crafts so I making graphics on candles made out of tissue paper. I can whip them out in about five minutes!"

TIA

Comments (10)

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

I remember in a rubber stamping class that the teacher showed how to stamp an image on tissue then place the inked side against the candle then she used a heat gun to set it into the candle. Hope this helps. Never tried it myself just watched

• iowagirl2006
    16 years ago

I have not had the best luck with doing tissue paper candles - I melt the candle with the heat gun. I am sure it is my own inability, as I have seen some REALLY cute ones done with tissue paper.

You can print right onto the tissue paper by cutting it slightly smaller than 8.5"x11" and taping it to cardstock to run it through your printer.

Then cut closly around it and "melt" it to the candle using a heat gun. Those get really hot, so don't over do -which is where I have the problem.

I use waterslip decal paper made for inkjet printers. You can seal it with clear spray paint (several light coats) then slide it onto the candle.

This is my candle done with water slip decal paper. I used a 3-wick candle from wal-mart, and used a forstner bit to carve out the hole for the votive candle to go in.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Iowagirl, I love your candle, it turned out great. Where do you get the waterslip decal paper? So do you just print out several sayings or designs on one sheet of the paper, then cut them out individually to use on the candles?

My neice is looking for gifts for about 20 teachers, and this would be just perfect for her to do. Please provide as much instructions as you can, okay? Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give. ;o)

Luvs

• iowagirl2006
    16 years ago

I have bought my waterslip decal from a few different sources. The best was from Craft Junkies - but I guess they are no longer in business. Make sure you get the correct kind, depending on your printer - there is InkJet and Lasar. Also Clear and White. I get Clear InkJet.

I print as much as I can on one sheet. I use my photo editing program to put the pitures and sayings on a 8.5 x 11 sheet. I leave about 1/2 inch around each item, so I have room to cut them out. With words - I cut out each word - so I could place them as I want - so you don't have to print them exactly like you want them placed on the candle. I print out a test copy on plain paper first to make sure nothing is cut off - the decal paper is a bit expensive, but if you can get many images on one sheet - it isn't bad.

I print the page at the best quality. Let it dry for a while - then clear coat it with Krylon clear spray paint. 2 - 3 very light coats - make sure it is coated well. When that has dried completely, cut them out and put them on the candles. I don't buy the spray coating from the places that sell the decals - it is just clear spray paint.

I have the candle prepared beforehand. If you are going to drill out the center to put a votive in - do that first. I wipe down the candle with a little rubbing alcohol just to make sure the surface is clean. Then I dip the decal in warm water and slide it onto the candle. I gently smooth it out with a soft damp cloth. I have resprayed the candle with the decal on it - but that caused it to crackle a bit. I am going to use either clear waterbased varnish or modge podge next time to seal the decal on.

I didn't see the large 3 wick candles at Wal-Mart anymore - they have a smaller candle - but I think it would be just as nice. Choose a lighter colored candle. Remember that white does not print - if you want white - you need to use white decal paper, but I don't recommend that for this project.

I will list some sources below for the decals. Here is one I did with a graphic printed.

Sources (they also have some directions on their sites)

EDPS

Bel Decal

SupCal

Crafty PC

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

iowagal those are really great and professional/thanks for posting them

• oddie
    16 years ago

I have never done this craft, but had to tell iowagirl I think she does a beautiful job!
    Thanks for shareing
    Oddie

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Iowagirl, thanks for sharing more detailed instructions. I think this is something I would enjoy making. Will keep my eyes open for the large candles too. Your's certainly look wonderful, and I love the idea of putting the candle cup in the middle. Luvs

• lufkit2
    16 years ago

You can modge podge pretty much anything! The best way to do it is to glue or paste down the pictures you are using onto the surface first, this way you can get them in the correct layout and it makes it so much easier as they won't slip around. Then modge podge over everything once you have the whole surface covered.
    Hope this answers your question!

• Tnflower_lover
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for all the information. LOVE the candles. I have got to try this
    Thank you all

• janet_ks
    16 years ago

Iowagirl,

I've been wanting to try these for some time now, but thought they were too difficult for my ability. Thanks for posting such great instructions -- I think I'm ready to give them a try!!

Janet

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner