Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot glue for hot summer temps on wreath?

Posted by natureperson (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 21:05

Will hot glue work to attach flowers to a wreath that will be used on the exterior front door? The florals are wired to sticks poked into the grapevine wreath, but I thought adding some glue to it also should keep it intact. Or will the hot glue melt in outdoor temps?

Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot glue for hot summer temps on wreath?

Might be better to use Weldbond, QuickGrip or E6000 as the hot glue does melt,& if sun shines on it certainly well. All of those glues are available at Michael's or Joanne's etc. maybe K-Mart or Wal Mart too. Birds might pick it apart if not securely glued in. Jan

o

Try good old Elmer's glue along with the hot glue - the hot glue is immediate and the Elmer's will hold thru the heat and the cold weather too.

o
Which Elmer's?

Grandma Bonnie, is that Elmer's glue-all I think the school glue is washable so if got wet would run. I use the Glue-All on the cut ends of rose bushes so borers don't go in them. And it doesn't wash off. Jan

o

Hot glue will let loose because it stays stiff when dry and does not expand or retract with changing temps. For outdoor wreaths and other projects I use Aleene's Tacky or Aleene's Super Tacky glue. Both will expand and retract with the changing temps and will not 'let go'.

o

Thanks, everyone. I had some E6000, so I used that and will see how well it holds up. The wreath will not be exposed to the rain and direct sun due to the overhang over the front door, so that should help.

o

Reason I know hot glue melts is I hot glued vinyl strip back on to side of car. It was fine all winter. Come 100 degree day & it popped loose! I used E6000 & that worked. Jan

o

Jan - I'll check my Elmer's. Yep, it's the regulqar glue - Not the school glue but I know that you can wash the regular glue off your hands - never tried to wash it off once it dried though. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here