Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a easy sewing pattern for making a tote

Posted by bears104 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 07 at 18:45

All the bags I buy to put my daily stuff in to carry with me all fall apart. I would like to find an easy pattern to sew for a tote. Any Ideas? Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a easy sewing pattern for making a tote

I made a nice one out of a pair of jeans. used the legs to make the handles. And with the pockets you have a place for keys, cell phone, change. To close it I used a cloth elastic for your hair, sewed it on the back and used the button on the front to close it. Hope this helps.

o

Here is a link to one that looks simple but pretty

http://artsycraftybabe.typepad.com/artsycrafty_babe/2007/06/pleated_tote_pa.html

if you do a search there are all kinds of free patterns.
Oddie

o

Find yourself a paper bag with a handle on it. Cut the bag apart and use it for a pattern.

o

I bought one from a local crafter that I love. Instead of jeans, she used overalls. The straps formed the handles. You have to turn the overalls so that the front of them is on one side and the back is on the other. Cut the legs off and sew across the bottom 3 times. Viola! I made myself a purse out of some smaller ones and I love it.

Beada

o
Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions

o

If you know what you are doing, google "jordy bag" - a picture tutorial that started on the crafter website and is incredibly popular.

I'm not so great at following directions, so I go with the 3 rectangle approach to tote bags. One great big rectangle for the front-bottom-back of your bag. Two smaller ones become the sides.

Straps seem like an invitation to be creative for me - you can use fabric or ribbon or pre-purchased handles or anything that catches yoru eye.

I say go nuts!

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here