Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Doing my first Decoupage

Posted by hgiljr (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 08 at 17:54

Hello all. I have a vintage poster that I want to either Decoupage or epoxy over it. I am planning on first prepping the wood as the background by sanding and varnishing and then from what I have read I will do the following steps
1. Glue object onto wood. In this case poster
2. Once dry, brush on the polyurethane wood finish over the item. Perform this step about 5-6 times, sanding the item with thin grid (350 or above) before each application

Now this again is what I have read. I have also found an epoxy at the local homer store that you mix two parts and then pour and spread but the poster needs to be protected or laminated. Not sure how or where to do this.

I began doing some small demo of the steps above without the epoxy. ON the first one I guess it did not glue well but the polyurethane creep below the picture and left a wet type look to the picture glued. Again these are some of the basic steps found online. If anyone can comment on my steps or provide me better steps I would appreciate it. This poster will be placed under a covered roof outdoors... Thanks again

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Doing my first Decoupage

Back in the old days we did the sanding varnishing sanding varnishing etc for about 7 times too. That was before Modpodge and all the newer finishes. I'm sure it will turn out great. We did wooden purses with a famous old world print. I think I still have some of the prints in a box in the garage.

o

I haven't done any decoupage in years either, but I know there are special decoupage mediums at Michael's and other craft stores. Hope you will share pics of your projects when finished. Luvs

o

you need to do the decoupage on the top of the poster as well to make sure the paper is sealed. You can do several layers of this before you do your finish. If you use the epoxy, it should be in a dust free area and have a heat gun to get rid of the bubbles that will be created.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here