Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thick cardboard tubes?

Posted by lexie1397 (lnspellman@gmail.com) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 15:54

I have access to about as many thick cardboard tubes as I could ever want (waste material from pallet wrap at work)... there has to be some fantastic ways to use them but I am mostly stumped!
They are super heavy-duty, 18" or so long, and about 4" diameter.

I can also get a few that are equally sturdy, about 8" high and 16" diameter. These ones would make cute storage cubbies in the nursery if I could figure out a simple way to disguise the cardboard texture and hang securely on the wall. (Nursery theme is dots)

Ideas??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thick cardboard tubes?

You could glue wrapping paper (or scrapbook paper) to the big ones, using watered down white glue like elmers, or mod podge. maybe one paper on the outside and a contrasting on the inside. Or fabric might be nicer. Again you can use white glue or modpodge on fabric too. I'm not sure how to hang them on the wall. Could you stack them and hold them together with nuts and bolts? Offset, that is allowing the second row to go slightly between the first maybe?

The smaller ones, I'm not sure. They may be strong enough to use as occassional table legs. Or legs for cardboard stools. You could google cardboard furniture for ideas. If you cut them down to say 6 inches you could tie a group of them together and use for storage of markers and paint brushes.

Hmm. Be sure to let us know what you do. And post pics if you can.

Kathy

I'd like to think they have some use!

o

I have been trying to figure out how to seal the larger ones for painting, and found that I can use Elmer's glue before paint. I like the idea of using paper and fabric, too, so I'll probably mix it up! I think I could hang them on shelf brackets, but I still need to see how the mechanics will really work together.

Still working on a solution for the smaller ones. Cutting them to a shorter length is certainly an option.
As for securing them together, I think I could drill holes and zip tie, especially if it was going to be hidden.
So far, my best ideas are: cat furniture (would need to find a way to attach platforms), seed starter pots, and stools.

If I knew how to close off one or both ends there would be even more options! I know plastic end caps are sold but buying things seems counterproductive to the whole recycling concept here.

o

I know some bunnies who would love to use the larger ones for tunnels!

If the tubes are as thick as I think they are, trace around the outside of them and glue circles cut from a heavy piece of cardboard or maybe plastic canvas to the end. Or if you are going to cover it with fabric, cut a larger circle and glue that over the bottom before gluing the outer fabric over it.

They would make great wall storage for markers, brushes, or even rolls of interfacing or backing for embroidery machines. Think wine rack type of storage, but for small items.

Tami....who frequents the Kitchen Table and Cooking Forums the most

o

I have one in my sewing room I covered with contact paper,glued one of those unpainted wooden rounds you get at Michael's,and I use it to store my yard sticks in.
Years ago I had one that carpet was rolled on,I painted that one,added those screw on cup hooks,,took a piece of ribbon,sewed it on to the grandkids stuffed toys,and placed it in the corner of the room,and hung those stuffed toys on it.My son had cut it down for me so it fit very snuggly in the corner.
Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here