Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_gail

Graduation Gift and decorating ideas needed

lavender_gail
16 years ago

Does anyone have any graduation gift and/or decoration ideas?

My daughter graduates from High School June 9th and turns 18 on June 10th. Our celebration will be geared towards both of her milestones, but I need graduation ideas.

Any and all ideas will be appreciated.

Comments (6)

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

You could decorate in her school colors and then add in her favorite color for her birthday. Does she have a favorite flower? If so, those flowers could be the used for her birthday decorations. I forget who, but one gal in the forums here made beautiful paper flower topiaries for a wedding. Try doing a search on the first forum page in the search box, type "topiary" and see what comes up.

You might check the marthastewartliving.com website for ideas for a summer party. Michael's Craft Store is now carrying the Martha Stewart line of decorating ideas. You might also check countryliving.com and countryhome.com magazine websites for ideas.

• ninos
    16 years ago

I went to a party this weekend and my SIL had a table of pictures of her daughter(my neice). She displayed baby, kindergarten, sports, and other milestones. It was a lovely display!

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

I don't recall how many rungs are on a 6' aluminum or wooden step ladder but here's an idea. Paint the ladder in several colors..her favorite color on the frame of the ladder, then maybe alternate the steps in her school colors.
    On the very top-you could put a sign "The Ladder of Life". Starting at the bottom-a pic of her at birth. Next step-her 1st birthday. Other steps could include her first steps, her 1st day of school, her elementary graduation photo, her 1st prom, pic of her driving her 1st car, her 16th birthday, then one in her cap & gown. The 2 steps before the top could be an illustration of a college or a bride in a gown with a question mark in highlighter on top of those unknown future pictures...not sure how you'd secure these photos..maybe if a wooden ladder-put a finishing nail on the front edge of each step to hang it from. If aluminum...drill a hole on the edge & wire it on.
    Maybe make BIG tassles in her school colors from yarn & place on the corners of the food table, gift table, etc. Set a poster size photo of her on an easel on which guests sign a message.
    Make simple mortarboards from heavy posterboard in black..leaving the 'lid' off the cap, then fill w/mints & nuts or some kind of treat as a favor.Attach a tassel to the mortarboard made from embroidery thread.
    Get 2 10' pieces of PVC pipe, paint them & dig a hole or use Xmas tree stands to hold them. Place about 10' apart at the entry of the party for people to walk under. Place a 'Graduation 2007" & Happy Birthday banner across the top
    and tie helium balloons all along the top too.

• grimmylep
    16 years ago

For my friends daughter who graduated this year also, I made her a bracelet. I made the glass beads in her school colors and added a little "2007" charm. She loved it.

Sharon, you have some great ideas. Sounds like you've done this before. ;)

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

You could say that. Been planning parties, weddings, testimonials for 30 some years. Love to come up with unusual ideas for events! And I love to decorate!

• craftman_2009
    14 years ago

Found a page on Squidoo that has quite a few graduation gift ideas as well as handmade suggestions. Click on the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Graduation Gifts

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!