Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crafty ones...I need advice!

Posted by sharon_fl (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 08 at 9:19

I posted this on the Tole & deco painting forum as well. but need advice asap, as I'm going to paint this morning & am at a standstill as how to how to proceed. Can you help me?

I'm about done refinishing the 'princess like' head & footboard for my grandaughter's room. I painted it a cream color & did the fancy carvings in very soft baby pink & lavender latex. There are some areas of the carvings I want to accent with the liquid gold. My question is this:
I have used latex paint on the entire bed. The gold isn't water based. I am varnishing the entire set. Should I apply the gold first, then varnish or wait & put the gold on after the bed is varnished?? Since I'm brushing the water based varnish on-I can leave the areas bare (areas w/just the base cream color) where I want to apply the gold. Seems like I feel there might be a chemical reaction if I apply the gold & then varnish. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crafty ones...I need advice!

Sorry no one answered you yesterday when you were painting. I would think putting the gold on before the varnish would be just fine. If you haven't already done it, maybe call a place like Home Depot and talk to the people in the paint dept and see what they say. Hope you'll post pics of this bed when you're done, it sounds wonderful and I'm sure your GD is going to just love it.

Sal

o
RE: Crafty ones...I need advice!

I've painted with acrylics before & trimmed in paint pen.. when I coated w/the acrylic clear spray.. the gold changed colors...

My personal advice.. either try a sample board.. or use the gold AFTER your varnish...

BTW - it sounds like a lovely project!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here