Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easy craft for 2nd grader

Posted by dreedree (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 21:22

Excuse me if this forum is only for experienced crafters, but I am hoping someone would be able to suggest a simple craft that my 7 year old daughter can do. She must make 40 things to "sell" at her school's art fair. (Kindergarteners and 1st graders will have the chance to buy her craft with pretend money.) The only prohibition is that she can't make anything edible (too many children with food allergies.) There cannot be any duplicate ideas among the students, so already I know that bookmarks, door hangers, pens with flowers at the top, almost anything made with beads, origami, snow globes, paper airplanes, and homemade crayons are out. We're late in starting as my daughter was ill for a while and we have a little under 2 weeks to make something. I'm hoping that I won't have to spend a lot of money on this, either, but I'm willing to get supplies for her if we can just find a good project for her to do.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easy craft for 2nd grader

check out this link has lots of crafts for 2nd graders, I like the lava lamp, 40 of anything is alot for kids to do, hopefully someone will have a project that will work for you and your daughter.
good luck!
oddie

Here is a link that might be useful: crafts for 2nd graders

o

I think Shrinky Dink pens and necklaces might be a good project for her. She could use several different themes such as school mascots, girly stuff or whatever. You could could hot glue pin backs on them or punch a hole with a hole punch before you bake them and then runs ome cording through them for a necklace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free patterns

o

Thank you for the suggestions and the web link!

o

how about bath salts? put about 2 tablespoons of salts into
plastic baggies with the corners cut off, and tie with a ribbon.
I use regular food coloring and perfume sometimes..but you can buy scent at a craft store.

or an oatmeal milk bath recipe that comes with envelopes to print out. I use this oatmeal milk bath all the time!
(you might want to use the corner of baggies for this one,too...

40 seems like an awful lot...

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/homemade-gifts/oatmeal-milk-bath.shtml

how about buy some small disposable cups and some potting soil, and some seeds, and sell some small plants. I helped my grandson make starter pots from toilet paper tubes. We also used Dixie paper cups, the tiny ones. Put at least 3 seeds in each cup.

small magnets....use the flat glass marbles and cut pictures from magazines, like roses or other flowers and glue to the back of the marble;or words; buy some of the sheet magnets to cut and glue to the back of the marble.

Here is a link that might be useful: kudzu's blog

o

Dear Kidzukween--thank you so much! I like all your ideas!

o

I have seen at craft fairs where they take a used plastic water bottle or pop bottle and fill it with bird seed and then in the bottle they put some objects like a paper clip, golf tee, nut or bolt, etc. and they put a list of what to look for. Kind of like an I Spy type project. I would think you would want to glue the cap on!!!

Also, I can't remember exactly how this went but a friend layered different types of bird seed in a glass jar and called it a bird picnic. She took calico fabric and put it over the lid to be decorative and made a little sign that said bird picnic. I think you then would use it for bird feeders. Good luck and let us know what you do. deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here