Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vintage handkerchiefs

Posted by beth1954 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 07 at 21:18

I left this message on another forum (Trash to Treasure) but I think this is maybe more appropriate. I bought several vintage hankies off of e-bay. They are yellowed a bit, but yellowed with age (a good thing.) I want to do something special with them. I was thinking about something in a frame, but I just don't know. Anyone got any suggestions for me?
Thanks, Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vintage handkerchiefs

Here is a site with a few ideas. Hope you find something that you can use.
http://antiques.about.com/cs/quiltstextiles/a/aa053003.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Handkerchief Crafts

o

I know that you were wanting something more framed, but I just had to show you this Quilt made from old Handkerchiefs.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

cheric~ that is a gorgeous quilt! Thanks for sharing the pic. ~Anj

o

Wow, that's a beauty! Sure makes me wish I quilted since I collect them & have scads.

Suzi

o

That is absolutely lovely. I've never seen the handkerchief quilts done quite like that. Terrific!

--Jenn

o

Cheri, that is a gorgeous quilt. Did you make that one? What a great way to preserve old hankies too.

Has anyone seen the pic from Better Homes and Gardens where they put them between two sheets of clear glass and hung them on a wall. The hankies look like they are floating against the wall, and are so pretty. You might search for it on the BHG website. I think I clipped a pic out of the magazine, I'll try to find it in my stash so I can show you.

Luvs

o

Luvs,
No I didn't make the Quilt. A friend of mine sent me the pic she had found on the Internet. I sure would love to have it!!!

o

There are a few quilting books callled HanKie Pankie, or something like that, that shows several good projects. I also have been collecting the hankies and one day want to make that quilt. I think it is beautiful.

o

I also collect old hankies...

And I've posted this many times before...but many here are new.

I got these ideas from a magazine about 6 years ago...Don't think I have a pic anymore.

I scanned and printed out several of my hankies makeing a lot of prints...you can only get about half and maybe not quite wide enough ...But you use them as border in a room..Using wallpaper paste and overlapping them.

I'm sure somewhere in my files I have the pictures and directions. If anyone is interested I can look to see if I can find them.

My garden web email doesn't work, but I can be reached at
pattico one at yahoo dot com.

They also used them as a valance over curtains. Made pillows for the bed. Covered an Ivy jar with a hankie and tired it with a bow, to keep kleenexes in.

patti

o

I saw you posted this awhile ago, but I am just now seeing it. I have a page on my website called What Can You Do With Vintage Handkerchiefs? You will find lots of ideas here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nanalulus Linens and Handkerchiefs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here