Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Denim and cotton rag quilt help

Posted by seejanerun (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 20:09

Hi, I am wanting to make a denim rag quilt but on the front I want to use both cotton and denim. As a newbie on the quilting scene I am not sure if this will work. I am planning on using flannel on the back. I am wondering if I should use a middle layer with the cotton blocks or if that would make it look odd? Any advise would be appreciated..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Denim and cotton rag quilt help

well, i've made a few quilts. i'd tell you to use all "same weight" fabrics. the cotton pieces are much lighter weight than the denim, and they'd wear out faster. flannel on the back would be great. denim will be a heavier weight quilt. imagine a laundry basket of folded blue jeans...lol. but they do make gorgeous quilts. you probably won't need a batting.
what do you mean middle layer, though? the batting? if you need a batting, go for very thin.
if you're wanting one of the nice frayed denim quilts where the seams are sewn on the outside, i'd use pinking shears to cut the denim for a neater frayed edge that will only unravel just enough.

i hope that helped more that it confused! lol
kudzu

o

I second the use of pinking shears. Denim frays like crazy and eventhough it looks cool it's a pain, especially when trying to get a nice straight edge that you'd need to quilt with. Good luck and I'd love to see a picture of it when you are finished!!

o

she may want it to fray if she is putting the seams on the outside or top of the quilt. I wonder if you could use a double layer of the material....cotton on top of the denim and then denim on top of the cotton....no matter what you use on the back...that should be a good thickness of quilt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here