Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livvyandbella

tea cup bird feeders..

livvyandbella
14 years ago

Has anyone ever made a bird feeder out of a tea cup and saucer on a pole? I have seen them in pictures and they are adorable. Would love to have one for my garden.

Comments (14)

• leveta
    14 years ago

I made several last yr for my shop. I bought PVC and primed it with a primer for plastic so the paint would hold. Painted them copper, but you can paint them any color. I used GEII silicon for windows and doors to attach the cup to the saucer. I had DH drill a small hole near bottom and top and wrapped silk vine around them...

• barb_from_pa
    14 years ago

I have always wanted to make these. Maybe this will be the year?!

• leveta
    14 years ago

They are to easy...Believe me if I can do it anyone can...Just add your own embelishment...

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

I also made some a few years ago. I collected some cups and saucers and old spoons. I glued the cups and saucers together and glued the spoon to the saucer. I did like Leveta, and used PVC pipe and painted it copper( it still is copper and looks real) I glued the cup and saucer to the top of the pole. I filled the cup with water and the saucer with bird seed, and they could land on the spoon handle. I just pushed the pipe into the ground. When it gets dirty I just hose it off and refill it. The only problem is with squirrels who climb up the pole. I didn't think they'd be able to, but they can, and that makes the pole lean so you have to push it back in the ground.
    kudzu

I'm trying to find pics, here is some I made on spindles as gifts for visitors, sorry...I didn't know Photobucket changed!! I'll figure it out later when I have more time :D

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

here is a photo of one on the PVC pipe painted copper.......just use silicone. Most use GEII, I just buy Walmart brand; it's clear.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• livvyandbella
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much. I love the way they look. I am throwing out an old broom, and I wonder if I could use the wooden handle? Kudzukween, you just used glue and didn't drill? That would be great because I don't have a drill. I would love to make a couple for my garden.

• jump78
    14 years ago

When I make these, I use the wooden stakes you find at home improvement stores (Menard's)... they are pointed at one end and then I drill the cup & saucer on...

• leveta
    14 years ago

I glued PVC caps on to my saucers and just pushed it down on the pipe. That way it can be taken apart...

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

Livvy....like Leveta said, use a PVC cap, glue the cup and saucer together, then glue it to the PVC cap. That way you can slip it off to wash. But on most of mine I just glued them on with silicone, because everything was free and made right then, I didn't go to the store to buy anything, lol :D I just hose them down when needed.
    kudzu

• natesgramma
    14 years ago

Kudzukween, those are adorable!!! Can you share what it says on the card that is attached to the bag of seed? Thanks.

• mjowest
    14 years ago

You can also attach a 'cheap' flower vase to the bottom- upside down, and the vase usually fits over a dowel or rebar.

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

natesgramma.....it's a poem I found online, a very pretty poem that's perfect for this... print it out in a pretty colored font, and use a hole punch for tying on with ribbon....I put about 1/2 cup birdseed in a piece of netting, or a baggie......
    ' Your feathered friends could use a rest
    A dainty teacup would be the best
    A cup of water, a plate of seed
    A tiny perch is all they need. A pretty spot with flowers
    YouÂll be entertained for hours!

kudzu

• natesgramma
    14 years ago

Thank you, what a darling poem. I can think of several friends who would really enjoy these. Me too! Now to hit the garage sales this weekend.

• Crafty Gardener
    14 years ago

Here are some of my teacup feeders ... some on copper pipe, some with a bud vase, some with a blue bottle. Just use your imagination. You will also see a teapot totem in one of the photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: teacup feeders

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA