Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making moss grow on pots?

Posted by posieh (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 19:47

It was a year or so ago, but I saw directions somewhere to make moss grow on clay pots. Seems like it was grown with milk or something. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Would appreciate help with the recipe. Thanks !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making moss grow on pots?

posieh, I just saw an episode about this very thing on the home and garden network.

They bought a tub of plain yogurt. Used a paintbrush and painted the yogurt on the outside of the clay pots. That was it!

Sue

o

I've heard that you can paint "buttermilk" onto the sides of terra cotta or concrete forms and then shake some moss over the piece. The moss spores stick to the wet buttermilk and viola, grows moss on your piece.

Sal

o

I heard it had to be the yogurt with live cultures, not sure though.

o

Thanks folks. I haven't had time to try it yet. But it seems like the live culture would make sense.But then, where do I find "live cultures"?

o

I know you can grow moss between flagstones by blending moss and buttermilk and pouring it between the stones. I dont think you would need to use live cultures. btw that is just regular old yogurt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here