Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for sewing this flag

Posted by desertdance (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 19:07

I think each stripe is 6". I think I need to purchase silk remnants.

This photo is of Lauren Hutton in a spread of Town and Country Magazine.

I'm not looking at her or what she wears. It's the flag held up by clothespins! Wow!

I have a place for that big flag. Suggestions?

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for sewing this flag

The stripes are about8-12 in long pieces of various red pieces,in different patterns.. Cotton polyester might be easier to find. Do you have the magazine, you might be able to find who made the fabrics & what they were made of. Some magazines have that somewhere in their magazines. Don't know if Town & Country does or not. otherwise could write to them & ask them. Don't know how old magazine is but you local library might have an issue. Would be lovely on a wall! Good Luck!

o
RE: Suggestions for sewing this flag

A number of interesting things about the flag. It combines various textures/prints in red and white. Each stripe is sewn with what may be a french seam so it doesn't ravel, but the seam is standing up. The pieces of each stripe are also sewn with that standing seam. Note too that the field of stars is not sewn in individual squares, but the squares vary in size. I suspect the stars are appliqued onto the blue background.

I suspect it's not silk, but may be a cotton or decorator fabric that has a soft hand to it. It also doesn't look to be quilted, but a single layer of fabric.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here