Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laminating Fabric

Posted by judym_2009 (My Page) on
Fri, May 8, 09 at 18:09

Has anyone taken fabric and laminated it (using a laminating machine) and made it into a placemat? I know that you can laminate documents (paper) and such, but can you laminate fabric? Has anyone done this?

thanks,

Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laminating Fabric

I'm wondering if you could just find some clear plastic or frosted plastic placemats from the 99 cent store? You could encase the fabric in two placemats with spray adhesive on the back of the fabric. Then clear glue to glue the edge all the way around the placemat.

Or you could just spray adhesive on a cheap plastic mat and lay material down and fold the edges underneath and glue. Then spray fabric with waterproofing spray.

o

Here is how someone else did it. See if it helps.

I guess as an alternative, you could try stiffening fabric with spray starch and then running it through the laminater. I've never laminated anthing so I'm not sure hoe stiff the fabric would need to be.

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Placemats

o

You can buy iron on laminating stuff. It works for fabric or paper. It is easy to use and comes out great.
You can use your laminator for fabric, it isn't any different than laminating paper.

o

Big laminating companies will laminate fabric for people. There are web sites, mostly people who make childrens items for sale, where people coordinate to get enough material together to do a run which I believe is 50 yards. It can be many lengths of different fabrics as long as it is sewn togehter to make 50 yards of the same width. I considered joining in on one once which is how I know.
Maybe not useful to anyone here to know this but you never know!
kathy

o

Can you also use this type of iron-on laminate to stiffen fabric for jewelery making?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here