Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alagard

Attaching tulle swags to tables??

alagard
16 years ago

My daughter is getting married 6/30/07 and I'm planning to do tulle swags, maybe with lights under, for the front of some of the tables. How do I attach it? If it's only along the front would it be too heavy & pull the tablecloth off? I'm not using skirting, just tablecloths. HElp please! I have no idea what I'm doing...

Comments (6)

• jade2
    16 years ago

If you're going to be using the tulling and lights, I always fold the tulling in half lengthwise and then lay the lights in it before attaching to the table. I have also used the picnic table clamps to attache it to the table. But my favorite is to take very large safety pins and pin them thru from the back, where the table cloth would fit on the table and then put the tulle/lights down thru the pin before closing. If you'd like to hide the pins even more attach some ivy wrapped around the corner tulle/lights and let it drape down at the corners. I usually do ivy all across the front using the pins to hold in place. If you find that the tulle/lights are too thick to go thru the pins, then just pin thru the tulle being careful not to pin the light cord. Hope this helps!

• okieladybug
    16 years ago

I agree...use extra large safety pins underneath the tablecloth. If this is for the buffet/cake tables, you won't need to worry about it being too heavy to pull off the cloth...there will be the weight of dishes, etc. to hold them on. It's really not that heavy anyway.

I have also used silk ivy running through the tulle and lights. One bride used silk flowers and we created small nosegays to attach to the corners of the table where the tulle was attached. At another event we sprinkled rose petals in the tulle before folding it up and it was gorgeous!

BTW, this is just personal opinion, but if this is for the buffet/cake table I suggest using skirting or floor length cloths. It's just a much more elegant look than table legs showing. ;)

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

You didn't say, but I'm assuming the bridal cloth is cloth and not plastic, correct? That being said...the safest & most secure way is to definitely skirt the table. By skirting it first, you can use duct tape to secure the edge of the skirt to the TOP of the table. Then, use safety pins to attach the tulle, lights, etc to the skirting. THEN, lay the top cloth on the table-now your decorations won't drag the top cloth forward. Much safer & nicer in appearance.

• AuntMary
    16 years ago

Hi,
    For our 50th Anniversary party, we--
    Covered the table with a new white cloth
    Prepared nylon tulle by gathering every 22 inches around light cord and tying with a narrow white ribbon.
    Used lights with bulbs every 4 inches for good coverage.
    Secured the tulle by draping, fastening with large safety pins.
    Inserted silk long stemmed white magnolias into the pins.
    Tied curling ribbon in white and gold around the flower stem.
    No pins were visible.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kattydid
    16 years ago

I also used the metal picnic table clips. I wrapped them with white ribbon and hot glued more ribbons hanging, then I glued lilac ( color for wedding) flowers and rose buds on them. Then I gathered the tulle and clipped them on. And you get to make them ahead of time. I also made extra's for ballons for cheese table. Fairly inexpensive and came out beautiful. PS. You might want to find out what kind of table's will be used first.