Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

Recycle Old Jeans Into A Skirt

kudzukween
13 years ago

These were my nieces outgrown jeans that I turned into a skirt for my granddaughter. I had to put a patch on the back because it was worn thin, but I added one to the front just because :D There is a link to someone's tutorial on how to make these on my blog in case you want to make some,too. A great recycled refashion! I personally think you could sell these, too.

There's a photo of the back on my blog.

Go make some!

kudzu

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

Comments (9)

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Very nice! only ones I've seen were slightly longer than short shorts. This one is a nice length. Jan

• savacreep
    13 years ago

have made several of these and they've sold pretty well. Denim is my bag in case ya missed it!LOL thanks for sharing, the skirt is adorable!!

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh, wow.....i honestly don't know where you get zippers for those teensy 'lil shorts.....what are they.....like 4" of denim?? and today i saw some stretchy ones about 3" or 4" high...the casing for the drawstring wasn't much smaller than the rest of the shorts, and they had a slit halfway up the side! i've got washcloths larger than those....

oh, that's good that there might be a market for them! do you have photos or a blog?? i'd love to get more denim ideas!

thanks,ya'll!
    kudzu

• savacreep
    13 years ago

Sorry no blog, don't have time. I so enjoy your site! I've got another show on the 15th... will take photos then. :)

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you!

one of the thrift stores i go to had a ten cent sale on clothing, and i got a lot of blue jeans and a lot of lightweight denim dresses among other pieces of clothes. so now i'm looking for some good ideas. i'd already made an apron from one of my jeans pants legs,and a denim and bandana headband, and i'm making skirts from my niece's outgrown jeans for my grand daughter. so any ideas would be so great!

thanks again!
    kudzu

• savacreep
    13 years ago

I love making purses out of them more than anything! cut just the pockets out and make "Bar Bags" they are just big enough to put your cell phone, ID and a bit of cash in your bag and go out dancing without having to carry your huge purse around with you. I also make the pocket purses cute for little girls too. The fun of those for me is finding unique things to make the straps out of.. everything from old stings of beads from my Mom's last trip to Mardi Gras to ribbons and braided leather strips from an old belt, etc. Love those and they've sold excellently for me too! also the simplest purses are made from my daughter's outgrown jeans skirts. Just sew the bottom hems closed and boom, you got a purse! Soo many ways to decorate them and again fun and funky straps. Just love it! :0)

At this last show I saw a woman who was wearing a poncho made out of denim squares. it was so cute! She told me she made it herself using the same techniques you use to sew granny squares together when you are crocheting. I know NOTHING about crochet so I guess that idea is out! LOL

Most of all just have fun with it, cuz when it gets to be work, it's a JOB and who wants that!!!!

Have a blessed weekend!!!
    Jenn

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks so much, Jenn!

kudzu

• savacreep
    13 years ago

Welcome, Sweetie!!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I remember those from the sixties. I never made one tho. Yours is an extra cute version.
    Kathy

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company