Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandma_bonnie

Lifelong Dream

grandma_bonnie
14 years ago

I will be selling at our Mid State Fair this year this year - the fair is 11 days long with temperatures over 100 every day. I'll be selling neck coolers mostly and my DH convinced me that I needed to also take my potato bags. I needc to make another 1000 to make my 5000 quota I set for myself. There's a fabric sale going at Wally World this morning so I need to get another 150 yards of fabric. I have had this dream for the last 30 years - should do OK - the booth rent is $1500! I can do this! :)

Comments (38)

• leveta
    14 years ago

Well Best of Luck to you granma bonnie...I hope your dream comes true...

• ann_in_florida
    14 years ago

I hope you sell out of every single think you take!!! You're always such a nice person and you certainly deserve to do well at this show!!!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Wow!! Good Luck & enjoy your sale, take lots of liquids & ice to the site!!Jan

• minnie_tx
    14 years ago

I think it is wonderful and am always thrilled to hear of someone selling their work I know the work that goes into making things. That is a huge amount for the booth rental but I'm glad you have such confidence Also if you don't have one try and look for one of those battery operated fans at WM while you are there unless there is an outlet provided for you . Great suggestion from DH

• citytransplant(zone5)
    14 years ago

Wow! How wonderful! Lots of work, lots of money invested, rewards.. priceless.

Be sure to let us know how it went.

• huggybear_2008
    14 years ago

YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU GO GRANNYBONNIE, YOU SURELY DESERVE IT ... AND YEPPERS FOLKS IAM YELLING... YAHOOOOO GO GRANNY GO...MAKE A TON OF MONEY AND SELL EVERY LAST THING.. TAKE A MONTH OFF AND REST.. YOU NEED IT..
    keep us posted.. yea, I stopped yelling.. throat got sore..LOl..
    Huggy

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Good Luck
    kathy

• grandma_bonnie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone... Huggy - come on over... I'll fix you a Long Island Iced Tea to make your throat better... lol A month off??? Hey, how about a cruise???

• huggybear_2008
    14 years ago

Grandmabonnie, when you say come on over, you make it sound like have come over for a cup of coffee..like right across the street instead of 2 or 3,000.00 miles away.. LOL heck I just jump on my bike and ride on over.. but don't hold dinner for me.. LOL hummmmm a nice cool long island iced tea sounds pretty good.. we are starting to get some warm weather.. and I will be off work Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun And Monday... yahoo... lots to do.. but what the heck I am going to enjoy working around the house for a change.. in the garden and etc. finally getting my serger to the shop and have them clean it and fix the needle and rethread it.. Grandson and I got our bikes back from shop and what a sight to see this 70 year old lady riding a bike..LOL I will have someone take a picture just to prove I can do it.
    Best of Luck Grandmabonnie..hey by the way I made some of the small squares and put a little soil or moist crystals in it and going to us in the bottom of my planters.. only took a small tiny amount..

Huggy

• grandma_bonnie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Let me know how i works! Enjoy your time off~

• donnas_gw
    14 years ago

grandma_bonnie, I've never done a craft show, so I'm uninformed about booth rent. Is it $1500.00 or $15.00?? $1500.00 is expensive, but if that's what you have to pay, I sure hope you do great and get everything made and sold!!

• grandma_bonnie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donna - It's $1,500. It's a 12 day event this year so it's not high if you figure it out for the day. There were 370,000 that passed thru the front gates last year. That's a lot of exposure and with weather in the triple digits, I should sell a bunch of my neck coolers. I bought a plastic lattice at Home Depot yesterday and cut it into 3' sections to display the wet neck coolers - ready to be worn. It makes a nice colorful display too. Each one will hold 40 neck coolers - now to find something to soak them in - to get them wet - I have 3 large ice chests, and will use them if I can't find anything else - I'm thinking of renting a small horse water trough. My DH convinced me to also sell the potato bags - he loves doing corn on the cob in them... I had the coordinator in charge of the vendors try one - she loved it! I still have more coolers to make to sell, but I feel I am ready for this. Edward has promised to come down daily to give me a break every day! This may be a one time thing for me, but I plan on having the time of my life!

• sameboat
    14 years ago

grandma bonnie are they chilled when you sell them? If it's hot out they will sell better! Good luck!

• grandma_bonnie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hahaha - Yes, they are wet and chilled - I made displays for them out of plastic lattice which I hang from my canopy... I'll tack pictures the next time I use them. I have a few shows coming up before the fair so I can give everything a trial run...

• minnie_tx
    14 years ago

How about a photo of the display?????

• grandma_bonnie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll be going to the friday market tomorrow and snap a picture of it... I will probably need to play with it a bit...

• leveta
    14 years ago

If you have a $$ store they (ours) have very pretty red metal (don't know what you'd even call them) you put ice and soda's in them. They have handles on each side. They are pretty good size and the color really pops...

• grandma_bonnie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Leveta - I'll take a look! I'm posting the pictures of the display for the neck coolers. My neighbor took them - terrible pics, but you get the idea - The banner will be moved to the front to the frint/top of mt canopy for better visability.

• amberscu
    14 years ago

Best of luck to you!!! It's always exciting to do something that you've always thought about!! I hope you sell out!!

• minnie_tx
    14 years ago

How did it go? Did you have it already????

• grandma_bonnie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The fair will be July 22nd 'till August 2nd. this year. I have my camera in my camera so I can get pictures of the banner and the display for the neck coolers tomorrow at the Friday Farmer's Market - I'll post them in the gallery

• silver2
    14 years ago

Today is the first day of the fair.
    Good luck Grandma Bonnie.

• minnie_tx
    14 years ago

keep in touch and let us know how it is going

• coloredthumb
    14 years ago

Woohoo Sell everything is my wish for you.

Take the time to eat. drink and go potty. Stay cool and HAVE LOTS OF FUN!!!!

Can't wait to hear how well you did.

CT

• Deb_from_Pa
    14 years ago

Grandma Bonnie
    Boy, you sure have your work cut out for you.....wishing you the best! Sure wish I could come see some of your stuff
    If you have time and are interested, post your pics on my board for all to see...I have a few sellers there and we have lotsa fun too!

• FlamingO in AR
    14 years ago

I hope you're having great weather and even better sales, Bonnie! Stay hydrated!

• zeetera
    14 years ago

I hope she does really, really well this week. It must be exhausting but a nice way to meet people. Good luck Bonnie!

• grandma_bonnie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am meeting the best people, but it is a bust! I broke even on Tuesday, but will probably not make $1500 profit! Good news is I won't have to make a neck cooler for 2 years! lol I won't be doing it next year, but the long hours are too much for me. Hey I learn from my mistakes! People inside bought coolers from China and sold them for $10. They finally sold out so people discovered mine for $5 and unfortunately the weather is now much cooler... Only 4 more days to go! Got my name out there and met some really nice people!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Hope people that bought Chinese ones don't get surprise & get a rash. They put some dangerous substances in things. (lead , baby food, footwear that when foot sweat gave people terrific rash that lasted for months.Some type of chemical reaction. I'd go for American & handmade any day!!Hope rest of week is good for you! Jan

• coloredthumb
    14 years ago

Bummer not making a profit but breaking even (is that for for stand rental & all product materials?) isn't too bad. Now that you have all the items made and paid for everything else in future sales is profit!!!! Plenty of other places to sell your wares. Have you tried a local flea market or tag sales?

CT

• zeetera
    14 years ago

Every day is fishing day... You never know what this weekend might bring so keep your hope up. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason why things do well.

I'm wondering if those Chinese ones are the insect repellant type. Buyers love gimmicks I've found.

Hope it improved for you.

• zeetera
    14 years ago

Bonnie, I can help you sell some if you're willing. I sent you an email.

• grandma_bonnie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fair's over and it was OK! My booth cost $1395 and I cleared $2829 so I did make a profit. I could not have done it without the help of my DH and DD who gave me breaks during the day. My DH is alreay talking about getting a better spot next year and getting a second set up so I can also sell on Saturdays at the regular Farmer's Markets and cover the street fair in Morro Bay that happens to be on the last day of the fair. Those three event are worth at least $1500 more that I could have made. Everything is clean and put away for next week-end and I have no aches or pains to speak of. I got my name out there and met some really nice people. Will I do it again??? I think so!

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

Good for you !!! Alot of times ..... the first time is slow . ( Personally - I think you did great ! )

Now that your stuff is "out there" ... people will remember you . They'll seek you out ! My advice is to keep doing fairs and get yourself a following . Baby steps !!!
    ((((((( Good Luck Bonnie ! ))))))))
    I'm so happy you did good !

• mjowest
    14 years ago

I've been silently cheering you along- congrats!!!!!!

May we all live our dreams!!

• leveta
    14 years ago

I'm so glad you done well... You are a true warrior...Again CONGRATS!!!!

• grandma_bonnie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Back to Farmer's Markets this week-end. Not a let down - just back to normal. I feel like I did great - my family really pulled through for me. My DH is already talking about next year. Looks like I have a full schedule of craft shows to sign up for... I got a phone call for 50 neck coolers to be delivered next week, so my name definately got "out there". Thanks for the atta boys for me. My younger brother called and said he was proud of me and that meant alot too... Off to bed to get an early start on things... One nice side effect to the long hours at the fair... I now sleep 'til 6 o'clock now... :)

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Congratulations! I think it was very daring of you to venture so much. I'm so glad that it paid off.
    kathy