Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
8th grade Graduation Table Decoration Ideas

Posted by grdnangl (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 9:20

I am in charge of our 8th grade graduation decorating committee. They have chosen the colors light blue and dark blue for their theme. On the wall in back of the tables we trace silhouettes of their heads, but we could use some type of back drop of balloons, etc? Any ideas for the gym wall?

We normally decorate their tables with plates, tablecloths, etc., and we have white pleated table skirts that we reuse every year. I was thinking something with tulle, wrapping around the front of the table, may silver stars on the table, or a silver runner of some type. Also maybe a photo of the class in a frame as a keepsake. Any other ideas for something that will draw attention up from the tables, like a tall vase or something that will add 3-D dimension to the tables. Oh yeah, did I mention that the school has a small budget.

Also, we decorate in red white and blue for our kindergarten graduating class. Any ideas there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 8th grade Graduation Table Decoration Ideas

For a backdrop in a place like a gym, I'd suggest making or renting some of the latice pieces like are used for weddings.

I love this pinwheel idea for a kindergarten centerpiece. http://blogs.hgtv.com/hgtv/crafts/archives/2007/08/welcome_summer.html I think the kids would love it too.

o

Thanks, I found some pinwheels and will be filling cups with candy and put the pinwheel in each cup.

o

When DD graduated from high school I made a "graduate" from a tomato cage turned upside down. To the pointed ends I added a styrofoam ball covered in a nylon stocking for the head. the bottom of which I secured with a plastic tie to the cage. For the rest of it I used fabric to make a gown, the hint of arms done with a bit of paper covered.a half circle covered with fabric and glued to the gown and took a piece of cardboard to make a mortar board also covered in fabric. You can add a diploma to the end of one sleeve by wrapping a piece of paper into a roll and tying with a ribbon.
Most of what I did I used either pins or hot glue to attach the parts.
If I remember correctly I used paper cutouts for the face which I glued on with Elmer's white glue.
For the collar I used a piece of stiff white paper again glued in place.

o

I was going to suggest going to Party City where they have rolls of different background scenes. I'm thinking the one of the sky (LT. BLUE). A 'theme could be "Reach For the Stars!" The roll is made of plastic & is 4' in width whereas you can run it horizontally on the wall & secure with packing tape or velcro. For a trim at the top edge of the sky..make navy (DK BLUE) stars that you will tape to the edge-bumped up tight to make a border. On each star-using white acrylic paint-boldly, print that students name on it. Then photocopy head shots of the individual grads (yearbook pics?) and scatter along the sky.
For table favors-take the class photo & loosly roll it up like a diploma, place a thin rubber band around it to hold. Then, using a balloon weight for EACH diploma..tie one balloon to each diploma-varying the ribbon lengths from 3' to 4', to give height to the room. Then each guest not only gets the photo but a balloon as well!

o

The theme is fireworks (gold and silver) any ideas how to make this happen without using the real fireworks?

o

When is the graduation? Has it happened yet?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here