Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All About Knitting Needle Conversions

Posted by yarnbazaar (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 3:01

All About Knitting Needle Conversions

Do you remember the time when you were a kid and your granny used to send you
sweaters she knitted by hand herself every Christmas? Yes, at that time, you probably
didn�t appreciate the hard work she did to make that as you were too focused on getting
the shiny new toy you have been begging Santa for. Well, you are not alone. There are
a lot of other people who share a similar memory. Today, now that you know more
about life, you really get to appreciate what she gave you back then and how she made
it because knitting is quite a tough skill to master. A high level of hand dexterity and
nimbleness are basic requirements for mastery of such a skill. One will also need to
understand the various techniques and equipment used in knitting. Take needles for
example. They come in a variety of sizes labeled based on geography. This is why most
knitters often consult a knitting needle conversion charts when using patterns from
abroad.

Knitting needles in the US are assigned standard numbers from 0 to15 with 0 being the
smallest (although, the US technically have needle sizes smaller than 0 however, it is not
recognized as a standard globally). In the UK, the needle size assignment is likewise from
0 to 15 except that 15 stands as the smallest needle size there. Both Australia and New
Zealand follow the UK standard. Canada and most of Europe follow a different system,
which is based on the actual metric diameter of the needle as opposed to assigning a
number for each needle.

While no one can concretely explain how these differences in standards came about
and evolved, the UK does base their system on how they gauge wires, the standard for
that being the smaller the wire: the larger the assigned number. The system in the US
is supposedly based on how die cutting tools were standardized. However, that is mere
speculation as there is no real evidence as to how the standard evolved.

Aside from needle sizes, anyone looking to enter the world of knitting must also
understand that needles do come in a variety of materials as well. Metal, plastic, bamboo,
glass, and wood are just some of the most common. Whatever the needle is made of,
though, does not affect the size assignments. It will still be based on where the needle
was manufactured in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All About Knitting Needle Conversions

...I had no idea... Thanks for the share...

o
RE: All About Knitting Needle Conversions

Great information. Thanks. And I love the first paragraph. It applies to me. (I'm the Grandma)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here