Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Projects with my new birthday toy.

luvstocraft
13 years ago

I asked for and received a Cricut for my birthday and have been doing a few projects with it. I haven't bought any vinyl to play with yet, wanted to figure things out a bit first before I invest too much in supplies. Thought some of you might enjoy seeing the wood blocks I've decorated using it. Luvs

Comments (16)

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Wow!! They all look great. Did you cut all the letters & flowers with it? Jan

• grandma_bonnie
    13 years ago

I bought my cricut for myself on Black Friday after Thanksgiving and didn't open the box 'til after Christmas! Try the vinyl and transfer paper - I am vinyling anything that stands still!!! I even use vinyl to etch on glass blocks and beer mugs! Here's a few
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/576962157gJDFxr

• kudzukween
    13 years ago

i'd really love one....this is one of the few infomercials i watch!

that's a great idea using wood blocks to make the alphabet, and adding the buttons is cute..

kudzu

• carmelita1
    13 years ago

Great job Grandma Bonnie, love your other stuff too!!!

I've been wanting one of those cricuts for forever but can't justify getting one when I haven't even learned to work some of the other craft tools I already have and my attention span is very narrow :O)and my eyes and wants are too big :O)

I too love that infomercial too but it seems it comes on really late at nite.

Carmen

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can't wait to go look at your album Bonnie, thanks for sharing it with us. Did you find an inexpensive source for buying the vinyl? I think $9.99 at Michaels is a bit high for such a small piece. I've seen some online sites where you can buy a long roll for that price but haven't ordered yet. I'm wanting to check a couple of sign shops locally to see if they have scraps to sell or give away too. I've been reading the message board and some of the blogs, but would love any tips you might have.

Kudzu, you could make this without the machine too. Just paint the blocks, Mod Podge (glue) the paper on the front, then trace and cut out the letters--or stencil or paint them on even. I used it to cut out the flower shapes too and then curled the tips a bit and layered them. Good way to use up bits of lace, odd leftover silk flowers, and buttons too.

Thanks for all your nice comments ladies. I love having things to "play" with. ;o)

Luvs

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bonnie, those all look so professional. You obviously are using more than just the cartridges--maybe something like the Sure Cuts Allot program on the computer? My favorite of the little red kiddy car. ;o)

Luvs

• grandma_bonnie
    13 years ago

I use Make the Cut to enhance the cricut.... I also added a Thomas the Tank Train to the top of his little red car - he is so easy to please... I wanted to make a vinyl sign for the back of my van when I bought the machine so that was the first project I tried... I went to HandH Vinyl for my vinyl and bought rolls of vinyl ( you get free shipping with your first order and is a great value) I tried contact paper first - not a good alternative... Unfortunately the sign shops around here do not give deals for their scraps... Of course, I am in competition with him on car signs - they charge $140 + for their signs and I can do it for half the price!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

I don't know what kind of vinyl you are talking about but there are leftover scraps at places that redo auto roofs & seatcovers & upholstery places that redo furniture. Maybe you know of someone that does it in their home that could give you scraps or sell them cheap. Just tell them you are trying to do a craft with them. Jan

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I have a graphtec craft robo cutter at work to make signs. I buy the vinyl on line in a roll. (Its vinyl like stickers, Jan). You can also buy vinyl that is rated to last 3 to 5 years outside. The only signs (that is letters) I've made so far have been inside, but I'm going to try out side next. I got some 1 square yard samples of outdoor vinyl in different colors - I think it was $3 or $4 each plus shipping. Its easy to cut down because the paper on the back has a grid. I've not used it much for crafting yet, but I have to admit it was on my mind when I bought the machine last year. I've saved a lot of money by making my own signs, (for tenant offices, directional signs, etc) and even more important, I get exactly what I want.
    I can give you the sites I buy from tomorrow when I'm at the office if anyone is interested.
    Kathy

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

The blocks are delightful! You are having a lot of fun it looks like.
    Kathy

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kathy, I do have a couple sources for vinyl that are in rolls just the right size for the Cricut, so I'll probably order that. Your machine is probably a professional quality cutter. If it's your company though, you could use it for fun too. I've seen some vinyl words on framed glass, on plates, and on walls, and they look so nice. I'm just using the paper right now until I get used to the fonts and sizes, etc. so hopefully I won't make mistakes and waste the vinyl. It is fun, and I really enjoy figuring out what papers to use and all the little embellishments to add on them. I don't sell anything, just do things like this to entertain myself and maybe use for gifts. Luvs

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

My machine is a lot like the cricut except it attaches to the computer. Its a little tiny thing. I really wanted the bigger expensive one that cuts chipboard, but I really couldn't justify it for the business which only needs the vinyl letters.
    You've certainly jumped right in to using your cricut!
    Grandma Bonnie your things are beautiful too. My dfd loves the bumper sticker "Caution: Blonde thinking", but hasn't been able to find it. From your photos I get the idea that I could just put the letters right on her car. Thanks!
    Kathy

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Grandmabonnie, I've been reading and watching videos on Design Studio, the Gypsy, SCAL, and just recently heard Make the cut mentioned. I understand that these things allow you to use any fonts or svg designs from your computer and with the last two, you don't have to buy any cartridges. How did you decide which one to go with? I'm not too savy about computer stuff, so prefer something pretty simple. Love the idea of being able to see the design on your screen and being able to weld things together. I have no plans for selling stuff, just like to be a bit creative and make things for myself and to use as gifts. Just seems more special if you can say "I made it myself". ;o)

Kathy, I had never even heard of this type of machines until my DIL got hers--then I thought that since I don't scrapbook I couldn't justify buying one. But once I saw so many cute wood signs, blocks, and glass items with the designs and lettering on them, I knew I'd enjoy having one. Since your's connects to your computer, you will be able to make lots of fun things in addition to the signs you make for work. If you go to the Cricut message boards, allot of the gals there offer their svg cuts free. You could use your machine to label boxes, jars, machines, etc. at work and make fun things for at home too. I've seen glass jars labeled as canisters, signs on walls, lots of different blocks--the list goes on and on. I'm really eager to work on more projects with mine--it's easier to do a sign with it than it is when I paint one! ;o) In fact, I might even combine the two!

Luvs

• grandma_bonnie
    13 years ago

Luvs - the reason I choose MTC was the learning curve. I want everything NOW!!! lol I wanted to open up the program and start to create - which I did. The first project I made was the sign for the back of my van - I learned just enough to create it - I have to tell you - I LOVE it! You can even take a coloring page (I did a rose for a friend) and make a statement with it... a COLORING PAGE!!! and the fonts out there and dingbats (I think that's what they are called...lol) of horses, dog, cats, silhouettes - it is without end! ...and the young man who developed it listens to the people who use the program and fixes what needs to be fixed! What a concept! OK - off my soapbox...

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! That sounds amazing! I'll sure keep it in mind as I get into wanting to make more projects. I still enjoy painting too, so will divide my time between both types of projects (or might find a way to use both together on a project). I read some of the reviews, and it sounds like the developer is really listening to the users and adding new features and upgrades. Thanks for the info. Luvs

• Cheri_C
    13 years ago

WOW Luvs, Those are so awesome. You did a great job on them. I hope someday I'll get a Circut!!!

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz