Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I tea-die ribbon?

Posted by donnas (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 20:42

I'm making a wreath using wood cut-out stars. When I painted the stars, instead of bright red, I used a barn red paint, and antique white instead of regular white. I have some 100% polyester red/white/blue wired ribbon with stars and stripes, but the red and white in the ribbon is not the same shades of red and white that I painted the stars....they are bright red and regular white. Can I tea die the ribbon to make it look a little darker? Also, I'm wondering if I should use some kind of twine (or maybe something different) all around the wreath under each star. Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I tea-die ribbon?

Can you cut off an inch or so of ribbon and try it?

I'm not sure if this would work either, but what about watering down some brown paint and immersing the ribbon in that.

The twine might look nice if you're going for an older look. I'm picturing something that sort of wraps around like a vine. That may not be what you're trying to describe. It all depends upon how you put it together.

o

If the ribbon were cotton there would be no question, It will work. If it is made of poly it may not take dye. Knowing me, I would do it anyway but do not rinse the tea out. You can try it on a small piece first if you want to. If you do choose the diluted paint make sure it is super watery. I'd test a small on that too.

o

I agree with both of the posts, cut a piece off and try it and because it's poly, it might not work. Something you could try: Water down antiquing stain (I use Folk Art Antique Stain) and quickly dip the ribbon it in. I think if you use it full strength, it will be too dark. Another thought is to put the watered down stain into a spray bottle and spritz the ribbon. Or, do the toothbrush trick, dip the bristles into the stain and then run your thumbnail backwards over the bristles so it sprays onto the ribbon.

Hope you'll post a pic of your wreath when done, I'd love to see it.

Sal

o

Thanks all...I did cut off an inch to see if it would work. It didn't take at all. Guess I'll save that ribbon for another wreath. What I did instead was, I bought some homespun plaid fabric and cut a strip and tied it onto the wreath. I didn't put anything on it but the stars. It's not perfect, probably still needs something else. It's hard to find a nice looking grape vine wreath anymore. That one came from Michaels, and I think I could have made one just as good lol.

July 4th wreath

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here