Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol9999_gw

how to glue/repair outdoor resin statue?

carol9999
18 years ago

A resin statue of a girl broke at the neck and her arm and i absolutely love this piece...is there a way i can repair it that it will stay with rain, etc outdoors.... the break is clean at the neck, but statue is hollow at this point.......the arm is solid and clean break....... thanks..carol

Comments (9)

• carol9999
    Original Author
    18 years ago

anyone? thanks

• Adella Bedella
    18 years ago

See if thistothat.com has an answer or try the garden junk or trash to treasure forum people have an answer. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Junk

• lauriemi
    18 years ago

Aleene's makes a thick tacky glue that might work.It comes in a jar as opposed to a squeeze bottle. I have used this on wreaths that I have on my door in the direct sun. The things attached with this stuff, once dried, do not move and will not melt in the sun. I get mine at Michael's or Joanns. Good Luck, let me know if it works if you decide to try it.

• mjny
    18 years ago

Carol, I understand your heartbreak.

Try gorilla glue.

A few years back, I had a goofy looking 24" standing frog that was holding a saucer for a plant or maybe it was a small birdbath or bird feeder. I'm not quite sure what he was made of....seemed resin like. Anyhow, my son knocked him over. His head broke off. I was so upset, goofy or not, that frog looked so cute in my garden. Anyhow, my son repaired it with the gorilla glue. Only problem was glue is brownish, my statue was greyish. Looked like the frog had a necklace on. lol.

The next winter, I forgot to put the frog away...and....well.....froggy is no more.

• carol9999
    Original Author
    18 years ago

yes, mjny, i didn't want to say it before, but it was the kids that bumped and broke the head off my girl statue... it seems that all the kids in the neighborhood always play baseball, waterguns, etc, etc in my yard, but i guess i kind of like it that way, so i can keep an eye on my own....but it does seem like i cant keep anything nice.... ALL boys in the area including 3 of my own.........i will look into all the possible solutions that you all gave for fixing my piece..thanks very much

• neetsiepie
    18 years ago

This takes time, but it will work and hold up outside.

Get Plumbers GOOP. You can find it at Home Depot, Lowes, and other hardware stores. Put a bead on one side of the parts to be glued. Let it set up for about 15 minutes, then push it against the other part. Now, take masking tape and tape the broken pieces together, pressing hard.

Let it set up for a few days, then pull off the masking tape. You should have a piece with a clear mend that will hold up to the UVA rays and weather. Beware tho...most resin pieces you get today WILL NOT hold up to the elements for more than one season, if you're lucky! The piece may break into more pieces when you go to move it.

• pattico_gw
    18 years ago

I have one of an angel holding a bowl that you can put water in for the birds...

We've had such a windy spring. She has blown over more than once.. Now her wings are broke off. I plan to use Gorilla glue. It expands as it is drying if you use it right out of the bottle.
    My nephew told me to mix a little water with it before I put it on. He said it makes it bond faster and it doesn't expand like it would full strength. So that is what I'm going to try.

Also mine has faded to such an ugly color that I'm going to try to paint it when the glue is dry. It used to be kind of a green color and now is purplish blue.

I think it is supposed to look like it was copper that has aged. That's what I'm going to try for.

patti

• frank_2009
    15 years ago

the best way to fix a resin statue is with fiberglass resin you can buy in any auto parts store it is used on fiberglass auto body repair.also a drummel is a great toll to sand and polish after wont even see repair.