Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

May Day baskets

luvstocraft
16 years ago

I had been seeing "cones" or "tussie mussies" on some of the blogs I've visited, so decided to try to make my own.

You know me, I had to make floral ones, but they would be equally nice with other fabrics and trims or even with pretty scrapbooking papers. (They also could be used upside down for party hats too!)

I plan to put some shredded paper in them and add candy and some flowers from my yard and hang them on my neighbor's doors on May 1st.

Luvs

Comments (12)

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Luvs, they are adorable!! And I have seen them hung from dining room chairs for special dinners.
    You did a great job! Thanks for showing those to us!

• oddie
    16 years ago

Sooo cute! lucky neighboors!
    oddie

• shysue
    16 years ago

I love the Victorian gift cones too. We made some to put treats in at Christmas. Your floral ones are beautiful and are perfect for a spring gift!

• phonegirl
    16 years ago

You have some beautiful cones. If I was a neighbor I'd love getting one. They will know they have the best neighbor ever when they receive them all filled with goodies. I just love this forum and enjoy being able to come here and see all the things that just make ya smile.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ladies, glad you enjoyed seeing them. They were fun to work on--almost wish I could come up with a reason to make more! LOL Good way to use up some of my stash of fabrics, lace, and flowers too. (I still have waaaay too much on hand!)

Phonegirl, these forums are so fun, aren't they? Such friendly, talented, sharing people on here. One of the high points of my day too. ;o)

Luvs

• sjarz
    16 years ago

Those are truly lovely, great job.
    Suzan J

• Jacquelyn
    16 years ago

Love them!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just to give you an update, my neighbors loved getting the cones filled with chocolate "hugs". Two of them told me it just made their day! I just put some pretty pink shredded paper in the and then the candies. Took one over to my DIL too along with a cute little mini pitcher I had bought for her collection. Got the nicest thank you email from her today. ;o)

That's why I love crafts so much--gives me pleasure to make them, and also gives pleasure to those who receive them.

Luvs

• craftylady-2006
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh Luvs, they are absolutely gorgeous. I was mentioning May Day baskets to one of the guys at work the other day and he had no clue what I was talking about - we're about the same age. Course, being a guy, that might explain it.

How did you make them - did you make the cones? If yes, out of what? Is it a paper mache cone wrapped with fabric or vintage wallpaper? Did you just hot glue on the lace and beads?

I love them, I really do. I've been wanting to make these for awhile now. Ok May Day has passed but that doesn't mean I still can't make some and put on the door knobs around the house. They are so cute.

Sal

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

Last year at our monthy crafts and lunch we made May Baskets...out of embossed wallpaper. We made cones trimmed the cones and filled with silk floral arrangements.

patti

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Sal, I'm glad you liked them. Mine are sort of Victorian looking I think, but you can make and decorate them any way you want.

I had seen some on some blogs, I think one lady used the thread cones. I like Pattico's idea of using the embossed wallpaper too.

I just thinned some Mod Podge and brushed it over a sheet of cardstock paper then smoothed my fabric over it. I used hot glue to hold it together and to attach all the trims. Snap clothespins are great to hold it together while it dries. I had found the hanging beads and pearls for $1.00 to $2.00 and already had the fabrics and laces on hand.

You could also do the same thing with scrapbook papers too.

In your case,since you like to do primitive style items, I think some tea dyed muslin and laces would work well, then put one of your cute stuffed "critters" and some dried flowers in it sort of like you did with your candle boxes.

I kept a couple that I made for myself. Have one hanging on an antique dresser mirror in the guest room and another one on the handle of my dining room hutch. Still need to add some flowers to mine. I've also heard of people hanging them on the back of chairs.

Next I want to make some to use upside down like trees and decorate them for use on a table or vignette and maybe a few for Christmas to go on the mantle.

Luvs

• craftylady-2006
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the directions Luvs. I'm heading to Michael's today for the cones (got 50% off coupons too). Again, I just think they are soooooo pretty.

Sal