Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinewife5_gw

what can I use to make castle pillars???

marinewife5
16 years ago

Our mother/daughter banquet this year is castle/royalty themed. We need to build pillars that will look like those of a castle...(the outside) off in the distance. Tallest would need to be 7 to 8 feet tall. Is there anything anyone can think of that might make building these easy. The only thing I can think of right now is foam board. I'd like them to be dimensional of course, not just flat art work. Any ideas on recycling some sort of something? Any suggestions would be appreciated here!

Comments (5)

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Hi.......how about those round cardboard forms for concrete. I'm not sure how much they cost. Then you could add other stuff with foam board or cardboard. You could paint them to look like rock or stone. You could cut the tops with an x-acto knife or something to resemble the castle tops and put little flags on them. I don't know what to recycle, I'd have to think about it,lol!! I'd paint it gray and use a large rectangle sponge to sponge paint on some "stones" in a lighter gray.It would make a beautiful backdrop for photographs. Maybe recycle a cardboard box from a refrigerator?? Ask Lowes or Home Depot or some store like that if they have any that large. Hope this helps.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

The first thing that I thought of was seeing if there are "spools" that hold carpet. Might check at a carpet store to see if they have something like that.

If you have live performance group locally, you might check with them to see if they have any props decorated like a castle--maybe they would loan them to you.

Good luck with your project.

Luvs

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

I was thinking of those barrels made of cardboard. and have metal top and bottom rims. The could be stacked (glued) and painted. I see them painted gray stone look and at the top you could use styrofoam brick shapes to stand up with spaces around it. Maybe some ivy growing around the stone pillars.

patti

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

I would do layers for dimension. For the very back, make a big paper background to put on the wall. Then I'd make a huge arch out of flat cardboard or plywood. The arched area needs to be in front of the background by a foot or so to give more depth. Then for columns, you could take pieces of flexible posterboard and staple or nail the edges to the back of the edges of the arch so they would make the rounded shape. You might have to use several pieces to go up far enough. You could cover the columns with paper from the huge rolls and paint it to look like bricks or rocks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Castles

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

I was going to suggest using the flat painted background, then as the eye leads to the 'middle ground-the centers from carpet rolls would be the perfect size. For the towers in the foreground,how about stovepipe? I think it's at least an 8" diameter..you can use tin shears & cut them in half lengthways for the middle ground and leave whole for the pillars! Bet you could spray them w/Krylon paint in grey and then simply use black paint to draw the stone blocks.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County