Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thelmalee_gw

Here are the wedding pictures from this weekend.

thelmalee
16 years ago

I am posting pictures of the wedding cakes from the wedding this weekend. It was a beautiful outdoor wedding and the weather was wonderful. Sunny and just the right temperature to be outside in short sleeves. the bride and bridesmaids wore strapless gowns in yellow and looked so pretty against the large bolders and green grass. The grooms cake has a rail road track going around it. The groom works for the rail road.

Thanks again to everyone who had suggestions for the beading. They don't show up on the cake in the picture.

Thelma

Comments (17)

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Those are pretty nice cakes, makes me hungry for some sweets! I love the roses and flowers in the top pics, it makes the cake so beautiful.

Sal

• sjarz
    16 years ago

The beads show up well for me, Thelma. Glad it all turned out okay - your cake looks beautiful, what a shame to cut it up.
    Suzan J

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Your cakes turned out beautiful, you did a great job! Bet they were yummy too. ;o) Luvs

• les917
    16 years ago

Congrats on a job well done! The flowers combined with the wonderful detail you created make the cake look so lovely!

• phonegirl
    16 years ago

Thelma,
    Great job, on the cakes. I have never been brave enough to try a wedding cake but have always wanted to. If I do, I'll be asking you for advice. Do you use cake mixes and what flavoring do u use if any? Also let us know what you use for frosting if you will. I have made smaller cakes for all occasions and always say no to making wedding cakes. Here's what I'm capable of.

• thelmalee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I always use a pound cake recipe because it is firmer and not as much risk of cracking. For this bride's cake I used a buttermilk pound cake with butter nut flavoring because she wanted bright yellow layers to go with her colors. For the groom's cake I used chocolate pound cake and powdered sugar chocolate frosting. For the bride's cakes I always use butter cream made with crisco and clear vanilla flavorings. I will be glad to help or advise anyone with what little I know. Mostly I am self taught, learning as I went. Every time I make one I say it will be the last one because they take so long and are a lot of trouble. I only do them for special people, usually as my wedding gift to them. My first wedding cake was almost 30 years ago.

Thelma

• mrsjjb
    15 years ago

Hi, Thelma. Your cakes look absolutely divine! If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to have the pound cake recipe you use and the icing recipe.

I hope to have this skill - one day (sigh).

• thelmalee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will post the recipes in a day or two when I have more time to find them and type them in. Have to plant flowers this afternoon.

Thelma

• thelmalee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Buttermilk Pound Cake

3 cups sugar
    1 cup crisco
    6 eggs
    3 cups flour
    1/4 tsp soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup Buttermilk
    1 tsp vanilla

Sift flour, soda and salt. Cream Crisco and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time beating well after each. Add flour and milk alternately. Start and end with flour. Add vanilla. Bake 325.

When I make a 16 inch layer I add 1/3 more, eg 4 cups sugar, 4 cups flour, 8 eggs, 1 1/3 cup crisco, etc.

Chocolate Pound Cake

2 sticks butter or margarine
    1/2 cup crisco
    3 cups sugar
    5 eggs
    3 cups flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    4 T cocoa
    1 cup milk
    1 tsp vanilla

Cream together the butter and shortening. Add sugar and eggs. Sift dry ingredients together add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. Add vanilla.

I don't use a recipe for the frosting. I use a 2 lb bag of powdered sugar, add 1 1/2 cup crisco, pour about 1/4 cup karo syrup and add milk until it is the right consistancy and then add two tsp clear vanilla. Sometimes I add 1/4 tsp almond flavoring, or maybe some orange or lemon.

Hope this helps and that you check back for the recipe.

Let me know if you get this recipe.

Thelma

• deedeebaker
    15 years ago

Those recipes sound wonderful. Can you make these pound cakes in loaf pans? I would really love to make these in loaf pans and give to friends. Thanks for sharing.

• deedeebaker
    15 years ago

Oops, I forgot to ask how long you bake these for if you are using a loaf pan or any other type pan. Thanks.

• thelmalee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You can cook them in tube pans, loaf pans or regular cake 9 inch cake pans and frost.

The recipe for the buttermilk pound cake doesn't say how long to cook it. Usually a pound cake in a tube pan takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours to cook. I never time mine, just check often and go by looks.

The chocolate pound cake recipe says to cook 1 hour 15 minutes.

Let me know how they turn out.

Check any good cook book for a chocolate frosting recipe. Again, I juse use 1 stick of margarine, cocoa or baking chocolate and milk to the right consistancy. Hardly every measure anything for frosting.

Thelma

• deedeebaker
    15 years ago

Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to making and eating these. Have a good weekend..

• deedeebaker
    15 years ago

I passed the recipes on to a friend. She made both cakes this weekend but was disappointed. The chocolate pound cake was really dry and the buttermilk one just didn't have the consistency of a pound cake. Is there something she did wrong or maybe something missing in the recipe. She was thinking maybe she should've done a water bath but I would think you shouldn't have to do that.

When you make these do you beat them for a long time? I have a pound cake recipe that calls for beating it for 20 minutes.

Any suggestions as to why this happened?

• thelmalee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am so sorry the cakes didn't turn out right for your friend. I checked the recipe and they are correct. I have only used the buttermilk pound cake in layers but have been using them for at least 17 years because I did my daughter's that long ago. The chocolate recipe is one all the ladies around here use and I have never known it to be dry.

I always cream the oleo/shortening with the sugar then add the eggs one at a time, beating until you can no longer see the egg. I add the flour and milk alternately 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup mill and 1 cup flour. I only mix until the ingredients are well blended. I only use a good brand of flour, White Lily or Gold Metal. I can't imagine why they didn't turn out right.

Did anyone else try them?

Thelma

• adichristi
    15 years ago

I am just wondering if a hand-held beater or a KitchenAid mixer would make a difference.

I made my MIL Christmas cookies one year and used the KA mixer and they did not turn out right. I forgot I was suppose to use the hand-mixer.

• thelmalee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I use a kitchen aid - just beat the minimum time, just until the egg disappears, just to flour and milk disappear.

Thelma