Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
country_bumpkin_al

Need Help Repairing a Vinyl Couch

country_bumpkin_al
13 years ago

My neighbors bought new livingroom furniture and gave me their other set. It's black vinyl (but looks and feels like leather). Anyway,the day they picked up their new set, their little Pom decided to check out one of the cushions on the old set...and managed to tear/peel a pretty big section off one of the cushions. :( The cushions are sewn in, so I can't flip it over. THAT would have been easy! lol I still wanted the set, thinking it'd be easy to repair..and even if the patch showed, the set was better than what I was using.

We 1st bought a couple of the Vinyl/Leather Repair Kits...then realized those are for repairing smaller areas. So, I went to Hobby Lobby and found some (almost perfect match) vinyl sold be the yard and 52" wide. Problem is...I'm not sure how to attach it. I'm thinking it'd be best to just cover the whole cushion and it wouldn't be as noticeable..I'm just not sure how to attach it.

Any ideas?

(I posted this in another forum, but it's not getting any response. Now I'm wondering if this job may be bigger than I thought..LOL)

Comments (3)

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I'm assuming the back has what look like cushions, they are just attached. If you have the sewing talent to make a piece that fits over the front and sides and overlaps onto the back just a tiny bit you could hand sew it to the old cover with a leather needle.
    Seems like there should be another way tho. I just did a search on vinyl repair and found this stuff that claims to repair the tear not matter how large. You might check it out and read the reviews.
    Good luck.
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Liquid stitch

• kudzukween
    13 years ago

are they like the repair kits at auto-supply stores? they have good ones there with matching grain ironing pads...
    maybe you can post photo of sofa and damage...to see where seams are,how big a tear...

hope you can find a solution!
    kudzu

• country_bumpkin_al
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We got a couple of the auto repair kits, but they're really for something a lot smaller than the damaged area and just didn't work. This is the cushion. (I wish the cushions were removable...I'd just flip it over! lol)

The damaged area:
    {{gwi:1476648}}

This was an attempt to fix it using the repair kit. The adhesive didn't even hold 48hrs. and it started turning loose and the glue turned into a powder like stuff.
    {{gwi:1476649}}

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company