Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kidd_gw

Bottle Cap Jewelry

kidd
15 years ago

I know this has been on this forum before, but due to the lenght of time I am unable to see any pictures. I would like to see some pictrues if anyone makes these and don't mind sharing.

Comments (21)

• oddie
    15 years ago

kidd,I played around with bottle caps and melted plastic beads heres a photo of a neckless I made.

• leveta
    15 years ago

OMG !!!! You are amazing oddie...Did you use resin? Who would have thought Bottle caps could look like that...

• oddie
    15 years ago

gosh, thanks leveta, not amazing just a crafter! not sure what you are asking about, the key chain I used liquid laminate, and a small see thro bubble thing, same on the snowman pin, the rest is melted plastic beads, with jewelry peices added, the neckless was all melted beads, done in two layers, made key chains with the other bottle caps in photo.
    have a close up of one more keychain done with melted beads if I can find it, here it is

Thanks for looking
    oddie

• leveta
    15 years ago

Well gosh oddie it's greek to me...lol I'd have to see you do it I guess to understand...But they are something, but then everything you do is...You are then a Master Crafter...

• leveta
    15 years ago

OK I have to ask...How do you melt the beads and are they just any plastic beads or are they special?? Thanks...

• oddie
    15 years ago

Thanks leveta,you made me laugh! ok the beads are the cheap hard plastice beads you can find at wal-mart, I just layed them in the bottle cap how I thought they would look nice,used my yard sale toster oven and just watched till the beads melted, I added the butter fly while the beads were still hot, have had only one that came off,if so just glue with e6000, also leave in the plastic ring in BC it melts and helps it all stay together.
    sorry I dont remenber the temp for the oven or how long, dont think they took long to melt, but please remenber melting plastic gives off a smell that is TOXIC! should be done out doors, I might have used my kitchen stove on the frist one then read not to, sorry I dont remenber why, maybe cause of the fumes.
    you will have to share photos if you make some.
    kidd hope you find some photos, would love to see them also.
    oddie

• oddie
    15 years ago

forgot to add if you do a search on melting plastic beads you will find all sorts of things made with them and the how tos.
    oddie

• leveta
    15 years ago

Thank You for shareing...I would like to try this sometime... And if I do I will share pic's...

• leveta
    15 years ago

I'm sorry, but how do you attach the jump rings(i guess that's what they are) to attach the ribbon or chain ect...

• oddie
    15 years ago

I drilled a small hole in the bottle cap, you can also use a small nail to make a hole, the jump ring is a little hard, atleast for me it is, but I stick a nail file to sorta open the ring and slide it over the edge of the cap ,makeing the end go throu the hole keep turning till the ring goes all the way around, gosh hard for me to explane things, heres a site that might help, I used the kind that looks like a a key ring,hope this helps.
    oddie

Here is a link that might be useful: jump ring

• leveta
    15 years ago

I understand what your saying...Thanks bunches!!!

• leveta
    15 years ago

What temp do you put them on?? S O R R y.....I swore that would be the last question...

• loralee
    15 years ago

Ghose are gorgeous, just plastic beads from Walmart? You have a knack for putting colors and designs together.

TFS such beautiful pieces.

• posieh
    15 years ago

O.K., oddie one more question...so you cover the backs of the bottle caps? Thanks!

• oddie
    15 years ago

leveta dont mind ?s thats how we learn, if useing the oven try about 3oo wouldnt go to high cause the beads can burn, seems like it took awhile for the beads to melt, maybe 30 minutes or so, just keep a close eye on them.
    poieh, I dont cover the back mine were gold and new so no writting on them, all is done on the inside of the cap, you can smash them or leave as they are, the neckless was un smashed the others were smashed.
    I read on a site I went to that said the TOXIC from the plastic if used in a oven can stay and get into food made latter, does give off a auful smell cover mouth and nose when you open the oven door, now I am afaird I brought up a craft that could hurt you, find a toster oven cheap at yard sales and use out doors, would be safer, still cover mouth and nose when opening oven.
    hope this helps!
    oddie

• leveta
    15 years ago

I can see your point. Now I have to be on the look out for one. When we moved here 3 yrs ago I through my old one out cause I didn't have room....

• kidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Oddie,

It has been a while since I was on here. Thanks so much for the pictures. I have the caps and used scrapbook paper on the back. Have not completed yet will post picture when finished. But I wanted to try the way you have yours. What type of objects did you add or what are they made of. I use a 1/16 whole punch to make the hold and it is very easy. If you choose to use a whole punch make sure it is a Fiskars. I have 3 and that is the best.

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

Nothing to add - but having seeing Oddie's crafts over the years -- she's one heck of a crafter !!!

HIGH 5 ~~ Oddie

• oddie
    14 years ago

Thanks toomuchglass, and back at you! do you have a glass oven? might give these a try useing glass scraps.
    Kidd so glad you posted, was worried that I took over your post, as I see my photos were still in the old post, didnt check frist, I know I have seen bc jewelry over the years, just cant remenber who?
    I do use a whole punch, not sure of brand but works good, so hard to cut perfect circles.
    on the butterfly KC, the butterfly was a stick pin for memos, I cut most of the pin off left just enough to stick in the beads,added after the beads melted enough to stick it in, the red one is a clip on ear ring layed over red beads, the other was a charm I just layed on after beads melted so much, but not finished, the frist KC is paper with a small bubble thing and a dragonfly sticker, the rest is just plastic beads, you can use those name beads,spell out mom for a mothers day gift,not sure but some are plastic if so add toward the end so they dont melt much just enough so they stay, you can add a glass bead for accent, (glass beads wont melt in our ovens )lots of ideas there.
    while the beads are melting you can take another bc and press down on the beads to help them lay flatter, and fill out the cap better, you have to be quick cause they will harden up fast.
    hope this helps cant wait to see photos and see what you alls clever minds come up with.
    Happy Crafting
    oddie

• zinnia_blooms
    14 years ago

hello, do you sell the bottle cap jewelry ? or have a web site to order them or ebay ??? thank you . there amazing !

• oddie
    14 years ago

Thank you! I had a etsy store, didnt sale a thing so nothing in my store now, need to close it, I have a few key chains left, all was made a few years ago, so not even sure what I have now, if you like I will dig them out and see, or try and help you make one of your own.
    oddie

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz