Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Profanity at craft shows

Posted by christopherh (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 8:13

I'm on another forum, and a poster said the following:
------------------------------------
I made some subversive message bead-bracelets to sell. They have cuss words and for-adults-only sayings (use your imagination).
So far I have only sold them to some girlfriends- and they're a hit. But I'd like to sell them at craft shows and a street fair I am participating in over the Summer- where I am sure there will be kids present.

My question/Need Advice: How should I display them as NOT to offend anyone- and hide them from kids eyes...but still have them visible enough to sell?

My Display Idea: I was planning on taking an old wood crate and putting a pin-up girl image on it with a little sign that says "For Adults Only" or....something like that?

Also, I have placed each bracelet in a little cellophane bag -they're not "loose".
----------------------------------

Personally I find this garbage to be offensive, and I was told by the moderator it isn't.

What say you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Profanity at craft shows

Trashy! She could sell them at home parties & leave family type places alone.

o

I agree completely... I can't imagine the show directors will allow it - it doesn't belong where families are present! One alternative is to have a sign - "ask me about....." Then have a business card with the URL of a website (it can be facebook) where they can go. It doesn't belong at a show... I was next to a t-shirt booth that had F - you on them - they were asked to leave when I brought it up to the people in charge... We have to think with our brains sometimes rather than the almighty $$$.

o

You copied a post from another forum to this forum. Are you asking if that original post was offensive? Unless they also posted pictures of the items I think they worded their question pretty delicately to avoid offending anyone.

As for their question, I agree with sunny and bonnie, I wouldn't want to see the items out in the open.

o

I don't personally think much of her craft, but I think it was ok for her to ask the question. I imagine she's gotten all kinds of feedback.
Kathy

o

I just wouldn't want to be next to her as I was with the t-shirts a few years ago...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here