Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Oddie, you inspired these!

luvstocraft
16 years ago

Hi Oddie, Just wanted to show you that I checked out the site you posted, and you inspired me to try to make a few of these button flowers! I think I will glue them onto barrette clips for my little granddaughter and her friends. I just used buttons that I already had on hand, but I think they turned out pretty good. I think I would really like to make some with pastel buttons. Thanks for sharing sites that inspire us. Luvs

Comments (25)

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Those are sooooooo cute Luvs, what a great job you did. Your GD and her friends are just going to love them for sure. Just a suggestion: At Michael's they have those tiny wooden decorative pieces, some are about the size of a dime or nickel (bees, bugs, flowers, little animals, etc.) and those would look adorable on top of the middle button

You could even glue them onto the top wider part of a terra cotta pot for decoration.

Sal

• oddie
    16 years ago

Oh Luvs those are sooo cute! bet they will be so loved by your GD and her friends! beautiful crafting love all those colors you used! could be glued on headbands also! seen on etsy some bright spring and summer buttons for sale, you got like 100 in two sizes I beleive for less then two dollars, its under supplies if you would like to look, you are so welcome for the shareing of ideas I find, never know when we might be inspired!
    sal love your ideas also! dont they make the cutest flowers?
    oddie

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Sal, they were fun to do and gave me a way to use some of the buttons that have been in my craft room for years. I went to Michael's today to get some barrettes--only found a package of mixed sizes, really wanted the smaller ones, but maybe they will have them next time. Looked at the wooden cutouts too, but the ones I saw were all too large for these button flowers. There might be some scrapbooking items that would be small enough though.

Oddie, isn't it fun to run across cute ideas? Gets me so excited when I find one I actually think I can do! LOL I might take a look at those buttons on Etsy, but I also have a friend who says she has lots and lots of buttons, so I might buy some from her. I'd still like to do a button heart like you made, and the little button wreaths that you can hang from a doorknob too.

Thanks again for the inspiration.

Luvs

• honeysuckleridge
    16 years ago

{{gwi:1476505}}

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Honeysuckleridge, what a darling graphic! Luvs

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

Those are really cute!

What type of glue did you use? I've thought about using some of those to embellish the plain ribbon barrettes for dd.

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

Those are so cute it made me dig into my button can!
    Here is what I came up with.
    I put them on covered snapclips and they are perfect hairclips!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jenni, those look great as hair clips. I bought some barrettes at Michael's and I can't even figure out how to open the darn things. Maybe I'll just take them back and just use the hairclips too. I think the are so sweet. Am I seeing a layer of buttons under the top layer of white ones on your bottom picture?

Adellabedella, I used Loctite super glue, but Jenni might have an even better suggestion of what to use since she makes so many hairclips.

Luvs

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

It is a circle of felt. I glued the buttons on the felt and that gave me something to then glue onto the covered snapclip.
    And because a little of the back shows on the clip it just looks nicer.
    I use E6000 glue. The glue gun would be faster, and easier but I wasn't sure how strong it would be. Sometimes on plastic it doesn't hold well. I'm going to try gluing a few buttons together with hot glue and see how strong it is.
    I know the E6000 is very strong, it just takes 24 hours to cure.

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

Luvs...did you buy French Clips like this??
    If so this is how you open them. When you pinch those two sides together it opens, then just snaps closed.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jenni, thank you soooo much! LOL I kept trying to pry those sides apart. Figured if it was that hard to open, we'd be popping the little button flowers right off just trying to remove the hairclip!

Your little felt covers look so neat--wouldn't have a clue how to do that. They look like you have stitched them to make a little "pocket" to slide over the clip. You do such a neat job cutting the edges too.

Luvs

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

Luvs....you are to kind but I didn't make the covers, I bought them. Only after I had tried numerous times to make them.
    I gave up and bought them!! LOL
    They really do finish them off nicely tho.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jenni, I was going to glue my button flowers to the barrettes and some hair clips yesterday but think there is a little problem. To me, it seems that the "action" of the hairclip would cause it to pop the button flower off. And the barrettes are slightly curved--not sure they would touch the surface of the button flowers clips enough to adhere and stay secured. What's your thoughts/experience with them? Luvs

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

Haven't had a problem at all. I use only E6000 glue and after it dries it is strong. I glued some of the button flowers to a snap clip and only the edge of both ends of the clip touches the back of the button. I have tried and tried to pull it off and it doesn't budge. I think if it were glued on with hot glue or some other kind of glue it would come off, but not with the E6000.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jenni, I have some E6000 in my craft supplies, so will go with that. Thanks for sharing your experience/knowledge with me--can't wait to see one of these in my little GD's hair! ;o) Luvs

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

I just don't think I would trust anything other than the E6000. I know it's strong and holds. Hot glue is great but sometimes it just does not hold, especially on plastic.

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Those would be super cute as magnets too! DD & friends are always looking for cute locker magnets. Great job Luvs. :) ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Anj, they were fun to put together. You are right, would be cute magnets too. Might do that with a couple of them! Thanks for the idea. ;o)

Jenni, the E6000 worked great. (Sure wish it were easier to squeeze out of the tube!) Can't wait to see what my DIL thinks of these. Sure hope the super glue I used to put the buttons together holds well, if I ever do a project like this again, I'll know to go with the E6000 for all of it. Thanks for all your helpful advise Jenni.

Luvs

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

I'm glad it worked for you. I used it for putting the buttons together too.
    It's a pain to use and I hate the smell but it is the best.

• paulah_gardener
    16 years ago

I've washed my handmade button pins in the washer more than once [not intentionally] and the E6000 held up. It's the greatest.

• Deb_from_Pa
    16 years ago

OMGOSH!!! How cute! I love them all!

• freeelove
    15 years ago

Wow! Rally inspired, those are way too cute! And they look like they came from off a boutique shelf!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These button flowers are so easy to make, and really fun to see what combinations you can come up with. Just be sure to use the E6000 glue so you won't have any problems with them popping off.

Paulah, that's great to know that the glue held even going through the washer!

Now I have another idea. At the Dollar Tree, they had the cutest pastel loopy bows with little tiny metal butterflies and flowers on them. I just took the paper off the bottom and glued the plastic part onto the clippys. I think they will look so cute in GD's hair.

Any other easy ideas? Luvs

• oddie
    15 years ago

Sooo cute! and how very clever of you! have wanted to try makeing these useing small silk flowers with a pretty bead for the center kinda like these at this site, I did make one hair clip useing the foam cut outs like the chunky daisy, kinda like the button one,I used a pink daisy, white cut out circle then a pink button,then a small white button, put white dots on the petals of the daisy with paint, my gd saw it and wanted to wear it before I got a photo taken.
    bet your GD and her friends are haveing a ball getting to dress up and wear all those pretty hair bows!
    oddie

Here is a link that might be useful: cute flower hair clip

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oddie, that little flower hair clip is cute, would have loved to have seen the one you made from the foam cutout.

On one of the blogs I've visited, they showed how to make paper flowers. She just just out a round shape of petals then a couple of smaller ones. Stacked them together, secured them with wire or a brad and glued a button on top to hide them. She had sort of curled the petals with a pencil. I thought they were really cute, but didn't think they would hold up for barettes. Sure would be cute on a gift bag or even to attach to a bulletin board though.

Luvs