Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nigella_gw

Are there any others making jewelry and related items?

Nigella
19 years ago

I have a post on Suggestions and Comments requesting a jewelry making forum if anyone is interested.

Comments (18)

• lawmar
    19 years ago

I am really interested in a jewelry forum. That's how I found this posting, I was looking through the other forums for a jewelry one. I just recently started making jewelry and would like to see others projects and share their ideas. I just think this would be wonderful!!

• evelyn_craftdiva
    19 years ago

I do some jewelry too but mostly do other crafts. We are
    already too thinly spread out so I don't think we need to open
    up another forum. I know there are others on the forum that
    do jewelry too so just post your stuff here and I'm sure you
    will get some responses. Hopefully this forum will pick up.

• CandyWA
    19 years ago

I'm with Evelyn on that one. We'd all benefit from jewelry makers posting their ideas and pictures here. So show us your stuff :)

• gluecille
    19 years ago

I'm with Evelyn and Candy. I like putting all of my projects on this forum. I even put my painting projects on here because the Decorative & Tole painting forum is so slow. Besides I really like everybody here and I want to show them my stuff. So no mater what I was making/painting, I would also post the pics there.

I dabble in making jewelry. Nothing fancy but I have made some cute bracelets. I would love to see your projects.

• CandyWA
    19 years ago

I'd like to see EVERYBODIES projects!

• mzmint
    19 years ago

I am hoping to starting some jewelry making so checking these sites to see some ideas. I have nothing to offer, but I notice on GMA and she says her sister makes hers. It looks like it could be fun. thanks

• Nonnie_GA
    18 years ago

I would prefer to have a forum for Jewelry. There are times that I need an answer to a question and need it quickly. I don't always have time to go through each post to see if it what I'm looking for. I have a lot of interests and like going to each forum that I need at that particular time.

• CandyWA
    18 years ago

Good thinking Nonnie.

I wasn't in favor of a jewelry forum simply because I thought the Crafts and Decorations forum moved slowly enough without losing the jewelry posts. But lately this board barely moves at all and jewelry makers are not posting their ideas and pictures here anyway.

So my hand is up high (waving like a six year old who knows the answer) in favor of creating a jewelry forum.

• evelyn_craftdiva
    18 years ago

I don't agree with thining out this forum anymore by
    setting up yet another new forum. Just look at the other
    forums that split from this one and see how infrequently
    they are posted to. I predict the same thing will happen
    with a jewelry making forum.

Decorative & Tole Painting
    No new posts since March 20
    No new follow ups since April 12

Computer Crafts
    Only 1 new post between April 16 and May 8
    No new follow ups between May 20 to June 3

Scrapbooks
    No new posts since February 23
    No follow ups since May 03

Clay and Ceramics
    No new posts since May 20
    Only one new follow ups after May 17

Paper Arts
    Only two new posts between February 10 and May 10
    Only two new follow ups between May 16 and June 6

Dollmaking
    Only two new posts after April 19
    Only one new follow up after May 1

• CandyWA
    18 years ago

I don't know what the solution is, Evelyn. Jewelry makers don't seem to be frequenting this forum... I guess it's wishful thinking to assume that if we build it they will come.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

honestly, all my jewelry crafting toolboxes are packed away- there's a dish of beads out on my sewing table from a dreamcatcher I made back in april-

but jewelry is very much a winter time thing for me- there's no way I'm spending a hot summer night beading, or worse, working with a torch and a hammer!

I'll admit to not having a scanner or a digital camera, either (and we just finished up a roll of film- the first picture was date-stamped june of 2003, which gives you an idea of how often we take pictures ;)

but maybe we can get something going anyway, if you girls really want to start a discussion? because Jewelry really encompasses ALL those other areas- they can be painted, worked in any number of materials...

my boss just got into a new project- making pins with scraps of old toiles on shank button forms. we're going to edge some of them with grosgrain ribbon, some of them with lace- I think they're going to look pretty dashing, and am thinking about doing the same with some of her tiny little florals (she's working with figurative toiles at the moment)

I'm not happy with the pin backs- but I never do pins because I LOATHE every single commercially available pin back. they're ugly, and clunky looking.

• Nonnie_GA
    18 years ago

Chinacat, If you wanted to make pins could you make a clasp yourself using heavy gauge wire? I'm think about the old fashioned ones where there was a U shape loop on one end and it simply held the pointed in under the loop. The end where the point would be could be sharpened into a point using a Dremel tool or coarse and fine sandpaper.

• minnie_tx
    18 years ago

I had suggested on another thread to title your threads so you wouldn't have to go thru so many,.

In caps put JEWELRY: and then your question
    or
    JEWELRY: Anyone making jewelry?
    OR
    PINS: and your question
    or
    PAPER: card making etc.

If we preface the thread with the craft type I think it would be worked out ok.
    If I'm not intereted in paper crafts I can ignore that thread.

• erockybalboa
    17 years ago

Jewelry making

These videos will teach you how to make professional jewelry in several different manners. You will see demonstrations of the process of "lost wax casting." This is the same process that professional jewelry companies use to produce rings, pendants, and bracelets. You will learn how professional jewelry makers carve a mold out of wax, put that mold into a centrifugal caster, and then cast molten metal into the mold.

After you have created a jewelry mold out of wax, you most likely will want to reuse it. In these videos you will learn how to take your finished piece of jewelry and create a reusable mold using a Vulcanizer, a heated press, and pieces of rubber. Our expert will also show you some basic techniques for creating wire wrap jewelry; a type of jewelry that can be made using supplies found at any craft store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jewelry making

• hostingdiva
    17 years ago

You can check out http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php

I'm pretty sure they have a jewelry making forum....

Here is a link that might be useful: My Free 5 Page Website Offer

• highknitter
    17 years ago

I am interested in learning how to make simple earrings using beads. There are some hot bead stores in my area. Is there anyone out there who has experience w/ this, who can refer me to some informative websites? While we have good stores - I am a home-body.

• luvr29
    17 years ago

Here is a very informative website on jewelry making.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jewelry Making

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

Wow - what a great site !!! Hopefully once the holidays are over - this forum will pick up & we'll have a bunch of ideas to share !