Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need military craft ideas

Posted by beada (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 07 at 0:04

Well, it's time to start thinking of ideas for camp again! Seems like I never get here otherwise. (sigh) This year's theme is "Boot Camp." It is for girls in 2nd -6th grades and I have an hour 4 days a week for crafts. So far, I have come up with the following possibilities: Stamping on Dog Tags from Oriental Trading Co., making stationery, making greeting cards to send to troops (and then actually sending them, decorating canteens of some sort, and decorating cardboard binoculars from Hands On Fun. Does anyone have any other ideas that are military related that girls might enjoy doing? I'm having trouble coming up with ideas this year. I try to keep expenses under $300 for the week and there are up to 100 girls who come. We always do a picture frame and take pics of the cabin groups to put into them. I do think I have that covered fairly inexpensively. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need military craft ideas

For Memorial Day coming up - how about a 4 X 4 piece of styofoam, about an inch thick or so, covered in green tissue paper, using sewing pins to secure it either on the sides or underneath and then sticking a small USA Flag on a stick in the styofoam and covering the base with glued on flowers. You can get several types of faux floral bouquets at Walmart for about $1 a piece and pull the separate flowers off each stem - or using wire cutters, cut the separate flowers/buds off with some of the stem still on it for easy insertion into the tissue paper covered styrofoam. Maybe add a small round tag and/or small rectangular shipping label (get them at Walmart or Staples office supply store) with words written on it - "We Will Always Remember" - "We Will Never Forget" on one side and "Thank You" on the back using red and blue markers. Tie the tag onto the flag stick or tie it to a separate floral pick and insert it into the styrofoam. Maybe a Star colored in red or blue on one side of the tag.

Sal

o

I just ran across these patriotic ideas. You could make some of the Christmas ornaments or other things and donate them for the soldiers and their families at Christmas. There is one section on patriotic crafts, but some of the others especially anything with beads such as the tri-bead ornaments, pony bead Christmas ornaments, and beaded pipe cleaner ornaments could be modified with red, white, and blue beads.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas ornaments

o
RE: N eed military craft ideas

I just ran across another inexpensive ornament idea that I think you could easily convert into a red, white, and blue gift. Check out the mini candy wreath ornament. You could switch the ribbons to red, white, and blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornament ideas

o

cute scout crafts at making friends too

First Aid /survivor Pouches, Water Bottle Holder, hiking necklace

see below link and
http://www.makingfriends.com/scouts/scout_safety.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: First Aid /survivor Pouches, Water Bottle Holder, hiking necklace

o

As a member of Soldiers' Angels, I can tell you that our hero's would love mail from home. You could have them make the stationery and then write a letter to a hero.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soldiers Angels

o
RE: Flag folding

Here is a site for purchasing paper flags and instructions on the correct way to fold our American Flag. These could be sent inside the envelopes with the letters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pocket Flag

o

I think writing to a soldier is the best idea. It is not only good for the soldier but also the idea of helping someone else for the girls.
vickie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here