Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juicyfruitkid

Anyone Here Cross Stitch?

juicyfruitkid
16 years ago

I cross stitch ,but its getting harder to find supplies etc. Is no one doing it any more? Just thought I would see how many do.

Comments (14)

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

I don't cross stitch but would like to suggest you might find some good supplies at Michael's Craft Store or Joann's and even on eBay.

Sal

• deedeebaker
    16 years ago

I just recently wanted to learn how to cross stitch so my cousin told me about a company that she orders her patterns and supplies from. Here it is: www.Herrschners.com

They have some really nice things. And its not just for cross stitch. It also includes patterns and supplies for embroidery, latch hook, needlepoint, etc.

Have fun!!

• acountryfarm
    16 years ago

I cross stitch. Both prior posters gave you good advice on where to look. I like both sources. Also just Goggle cross stitching and you would not believe how many resources are out there. I only like to do certain types of cross stitching so its a bit tougher to find but there is still so much out there. It is such a relaxing, satisfying pastime, easy to take with you while you are waiting places and great for gift giving.

• bizzyb2008
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm brand new to this forum but I was really impressed by the sisterhood and support. I've found several past issues of crosstitch patterns that I like doing, e.g. country, amish, etc. on ebay. You might want to try there.

• anjabee
    16 years ago

I cross-stitch and so does my SIL. I get my supplies at Walmart and Michaels, I believe she gets hers at Joannes. ~Anj

• amart45
    16 years ago

I love to cross stitch and am always working on several projects. I have taught many friends and family members to stitch. It's fun to see what they are working on.
    I love going on the internet to search out new web sites for cross stitch patterns. I have gotten some great stuff off of e-bay.
    You are right about finding good supplies.I also shop around my local stores and on line. The one thing I have found lately is the quality of the Aida cloth. It does not seem to be made as well. Has anyone else experienced this.
    Happy stitching to everyone!

• cathytx3
    15 years ago

Yes, I still cross-stitch but I do plastic canvas more because it's more portable. In addition to Wal-mart, Joannes, Hobby Lobby, & Michaels, I also have a cross stitch shop that I get supplies/patterns from but to be honest, I have so many items that I haven't really gone out looking for anything new. I need to use up some of my stash!! lol

• susancnw
    15 years ago

I have heard that Walmart is going to stop carrying DMC floss, but so far mine still carries it.

Hoffmandis.com is a great source for charts. You cannot order from them, but you can figure out the ones you want and have a shop order them for you. I can't find charts any more at Michael's, Hobby Lobby or Joanne's. I prefer local shops for my charts & nicer fabrics. Seems the Aida is getting to be a lesser quality, even from Charles Crafts. I've not checked into buy it in bulk at Hobby Lobby though.

I lived in Austin for years & had access to the best shop in the world there, so I was spoiled. I left there in 97 and still haven't found a brick and mortar store to compare. Ginger's Needlearts, Austin, TX. Her site is not that great, but if you are within a couple of hours of Austin, it is well worth the trip.

Stitches N Things is an online shop that is brick and mortar in MI - she's got one of the best online newsletters and sites. I do need to get some fabric.

I'm in CO now and there is one store within an hour of me. I checked in Boulder...Ginger said there used to be a great one there, but it's closed in the last few years. I believe there are a few in Denver and I need to go check them out with my SIL next trip down there. I'm also wanting to go to the one in Cheyenne as soon as the weather settles--in June. (we had snow in May of last year :))
    Cathy - where do you live in Tx?I did find a shop in W Texas online--can't remember the name now but the gal I talked to was lovely.

• scottymam
    15 years ago

I cross stitch, get some stuff such as floss at Hobby Lobby or Michaels, patterns I get from 123stitch.com (they also have a message board).

I belong to a group of friends that get together once a month to stitch, sometimes a few will get together more often than that. Its great fun.

• User
    15 years ago

My mother and aunt cross stitch continuously in the inclement weather. Both are retired. They have made beautiful Christmas stockings for everyone in the family, including an extra set for me to have at my house for my grandchildren. Right now my aunt is working on cross stitch silverware holders with a Christmas theme for each place setting.

They buy their supplies mostly at Michael's and Joann's. When I see kits, books and supplies at garage sales, I pick it up for them, too.

• mariend
    15 years ago

Check Barnes and Noble bookstores. They have some great magazines from England and Austrlia with very good patterns and supplies. Watch some thrift stores, farm auctions, garage sales etc.

• juicyfruitkid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. My Walmart quit having floss and supplies. I live 3 hours from the closest Michaels or Hobby Lobby.We had a BenFranklins crafts 45 miles away,but it closed. My daughter has gotten the Cross Stitch Gold british mag for me.I love it!

• cathytx3
    15 years ago

Susan: I live in Elgin and have been to Ginger's lots! You're right, it's a great store and they specialize in quilting & cross stich items only now. I really enjoy their classes and Ginger is the nicest person you can ever meet.

Cathy

• joyful_garden
    15 years ago

I still cross stitch and yes it is getting harder to find charts. I still have no trouble finding the floss usually but charts are so hard to come by. I have so many that I haven't done because I just used to buy them when I saw one I liked but my tastes have changed over the years. I would love some new charts as well. Think I'll check out some of the sites listed above. :-)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH