Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oddie_gw

do you know how to do faux sugaring ?

oddie
17 years ago

I have no idea how this is done, tried to do a search, but didnt find any info, would appreciate any help, I liked how it looked on a easter egg wreath and want to try it.

Thanks

oddie

Comments (12)

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Oddie, it's a shot in the dark, but try looking in your cookbooks!

Sal

• honeysuckleridge
    17 years ago

I know I read once where they rolled their fake fruits in white glue and then in coarse ground(sanding)sugar. This was a vintage craft book...but I would be afraid of attracting creepy crawlies using the real stuff.
    I'm still trying to track down maybe some alternatives. There are several glass glitters that are not ground too finely that might work for you or maybe some of those little holeless beads??

ginger

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

I did a search too and was surprised how many crafts use real sugar. Maybe that really thin glitter would do or the really tiny glass beads.

• oddie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you! I beleive the glass type of glitter was the look I was looking for, I had seen a show with the fruit and thats what I had in mind, just could not remenber how, or what was used , doing a search for the egg wreath I kept comming up with sugar so thought that must be it.
    Thanks everyone for your help! its auful when your mind doesnt work right!
    Happy Crafting
    Oddie

• sylky00
    17 years ago

I think the fine german glass glitter will give you the look you want. If you Google the term, you should find some sources. You can use Mod-Podge or glue to cover the item, then roll it in the glitter, or sprinkle it on.

• oddie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks sylkyoo, I am going to try diamond dust, forgot i had it.
    Oddie

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Oddie, "Love that Diamond Dust" (hee-hee). Was just wondering how you made out with the eggs? Please post pics when you're done.

Sal

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Oddie, let us know how it works for you. Are you using white craft glue or spray glue? I tried putting glue on some wooden hearts and dipping them in those tiny beads for Valentine's. Wasn't at all happy with my results so thought my glue must have not been the right type. I love that Diamond Dust look. Good luck. Luvs

• oddie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs , I used water down mod podge, only because I had a small amount left in the bottle and wanted to use it up, maybe your glue was to thick, I always water it down, on the egss I painted it on with a brush and sprinkled the dust on with my fingers, I like that look rather then rolling the egg in the dust as it puts to much dust on, this is just how I do it, maybe someone who knows will help to answer your question.
    Happy Crafting
    Oddie

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Thanks for the quick response to my question Oddie. I have some bottles of Mod Podge that I haven't used in awhile, sort of forgot about it as a glue. I will give that a try.

You are right--the problem I had using the little beads was that they "clumped" too much in places. I'll try just sprinkling them on over some Mod Podge and see if that will work better. Thanks for the help.

I always love your creations. I looked at your egg wreath and it looks better than many I have seen in the stores. Great job on it!

Luvs

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Oddie, just a quick followup. I used the thinned mod podge and sprinkled the beads on--looks much better than the way I was trying to do it. Thanks for the help. Luvs

• oddie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs, you are very welcome, glad it worked for you! its so nice to have a fourm like this where we can share ideas and info.
    Happy Crafting
    oddie

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm