Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Cupcake ornaments

luvstocraft
17 years ago

Oddie and Evelyncraftdiva--will you take a look on the holiday forum at the cupcake ornaments Mona bought please?

I'm hoping you two can help figure out how we could make some. My first thought was styrofoam balls and texture paint to make the designs.

Let me know what you think.

Luvs

Comments (14)

• evelyn_craftdiva
    17 years ago

What post are they in Luvs? I can't see any in the post named
    "OT Judith , the cupcakes". Where else could they be?

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Luvs, I saw a pic of some made from plaster of paris. I believe the cupcake papers were put into muffin tins, the POP was mixed very thick and poured into the papers. The texture was done with fake snow (I don't know what kind) and then painted with regular paint.

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

I found them it's on the thread called "Found some goodies"

thanks for mentioning it I didn't see them before

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Did you find them Evelyn? Sorry I should have told you the name of the post.

Sandi, plaster of paris sounds like a good option--better than styrofoam too. I am intrigued enough to want to try to make some--now tell me again why I NEED to do this! LOL

Luvs

• thrift_shop_romantic
    17 years ago

I can see where plaster might work well, but do you think it would make them heavy, in terms of an ornament? I wonder if something like clay or sculpy might not work.

Just pondering...

--Jenn
    http://web.mac.com/thriftshopromantic/iWeb/

• oddie
    17 years ago

Luvs, if you are going to hang these on a tree I would stick with the half styrofoam ball, coat it with gesso and use dimensional paint for decorating, I agree that plaster would be heavey, This might sound crazy but if you have old candles laying around you can melt them and whip the wax to use as a frosting over the half ball, you can melt crayons for color shake cake sprinkles over warm wax ( I did this and made sugar cookies ) you could dip the ball in wax if you didnt want to beat it, dimanod dust would look like sugar, the wax might be to heavey also, if you are seting them on a plate it wouldnt matter what you use, sandi idea sound good also, now you know you will have to let us know what you used and photos please!
    Happy Crafting
    oddie

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The originals that Mona found were ornaments--but I would just want to put them on a pretty plate.

I think I will buy some plaster of paris and some styrofoam balls and just experiment to see what works best.

If they turn out halfway decent--I'll take pics and post for you all to see.

Luvs

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Why do you need to do this, Luvs??? So you post pics, and teach us how, all by next Cmas so we can do a goodie tree!

• evelyn_craftdiva
    17 years ago

How about using salt dough, for the base you could even add in
    a scent like vanilla or chocolate and then for decorating the top add some color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saltdough recipe

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mona was sweet enough to go get more of the cupcake ornaments and share them with some of us. Mine just came in the mail today and they are darling. I am going to examine them and then maybe try to make some for the fun of it.

Evelyn, thanks for the saltdough receipe. Have you used it for anything before? Just want to be sure I don't use anything that would mold.

I'll come back with pics after I experiment a bit--probably not until after Easter. Thanks for all your help.

Luvs

• evelyn_craftdiva
    16 years ago

I have not used it myself but maybe someone else on the forum
    has and can answer about the mold issue.

• oddie
    16 years ago

when you make something with saltdough you need to use some kind of a sealer that is not waterbased, I have used the clear spray from wal-mart, and clear lacquer and bouth have worked fine for me, no mold! you just have to make sure every part is sealed.
    Luv,s I just have to say althoe the cupcakes you all got are cute, I think they could be made alot cuter with your alls painting skills!
    Happy Crafting
    Oddie

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oddie, one of the forum members, Chijim, on the holiday forum posted this site for us to check out. I thought our little cupcake ornaments were cute, and still have not figured out what they are made of--this site makes faux cupcakes and more that are so realistic and beautiful! Says they are NOT saltdough or wax. No way could I make anything this pretty. Take a look. Luvs

http://www.kathyscreations4you.com/

• oddie
    16 years ago

Wow those are beautiful, I had not seem these, I read somewhere on the net that you can use cake decorating tips and supplies and use, maybe it was joint compound or something like that like iceing, they used the tips to make flowers and the other decorations with just like you were doing a cake, I bet thats how they were done, you could color the compound with food coloring to get the color like real cupcakes, the cookies could be made with saltdough and decorated the same way, I would still use the styrofoam ball for the cup cake since joint compound can crack when used heavey, just thought I would let you know what little info I have on it.
    Happy Crafting
    Oddie