Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craftylady_2006

What Kind of Printer Do You Use

craftylady-2006
16 years ago

I'm in need of a printer and was wondering if ya'll would mind sharing what type you have, how reasonable are the ink cartridges, or maybe you have a laser printer. Any printers you would NOT recommend getting? I recently read where an Epsom printer ran out of one color ink and will not work without replacing all three colored ink cartridges. Do you have this situation with your printer?

My main purpose would be for printing regular black on white paper, photo pics onto good photo paper, pics for crafts and pics onto fabric for printers. Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your help.

Sal

Comments (8)

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Hi Sal ......... I have a Lexmark printer . So far ,I've only printed out website stuff - although it says you can print pictures. God - the ink cartridges are so expensive .... about $30 for black and even more for colored . I never bought picture paper ... but I bet it's not cheap . What I do is .... upload my photo's to the nearest Walgreens .... within the hour they have them printed and ready to pick up for only about 20 cents each . It's worth it to me . You can even have your photo
    put onto things like mugs ... sweatshirts , tee-shirts ,pillow covers ... it's all really reasonable. I never liked Walgreens till I found out this. It's sure a money saver !

• phonegirl
    16 years ago

I only use laser any more. At the offices and at home. We have two brother and one HP. They are so economical and last forever. I also had Lexmark before and would never go back to ink printers. Laser printers are worth the money. Walgreens, sounds like a good deal if you don't mind running to get them. I live 60 miles from one so it wouldn't work for me.

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

I've had Lexmark prints very well,but it's cheaper to go buy a new printer than to buy ink for it !!

Also had a HP all in one,wonderful printer,there again the ink cost me about 80.00 each time.

So for xmas this past year dh bought me the Kodak Easy Share 5300 and the ink for it is just about 25.00 for both the black and the color,and it also does a good job.
    Kathi

• iowagirl2006
    16 years ago

I have a HP Photosmart printer that has the seperate color ink tanks. I really like it.

Photo's do not fade. I have had some that have been on the fridge for a couple years and look great. Someone printed a picture on a Canon photo printer for me - and it looked very faded in just a couple months!

I can buy my ink on eBay far cheaper than from the store. I only use genuine HP tanks - I never refill them either.

My printer will continue to print in b/w if I run out of a color.

I like the seperate tanks - as sometimes I use more reds or blues, depending on what I am printing. I can just replace those tanks as needed.

I think Lexmark printers are junk! I would consider those disposable printers. You CAN buy one cheaper than replacing the inks, LoL :)

I don't recommend all-in-ones, unless you are really short on space.

• craftylady-2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the info so far, it is really helpful. I used a cheap HP Officejet a few times and the colors weren't that bad actually (printed on plain white paper). The wire broke on it and I was told it would be cheaper to buy a new printer than get it fixed. I wonder if the guy I was talking to knows the prices of printers and cartridges these days. I don't want to invest good money into something that I'm not going to like for one thing and second, doesn't do what I need it to. I'd like to bring all my crafty stuff to Staples for a trial run, but I don't think they'd let me do that! LOL

Sal

• skyrider
    16 years ago

I have a HP officejet all in one 6310...prints blk & white fine, but I try printing recipes, etc. with a pic. and the colors are not anywhere near the colors on the screen...mandarin orange slices look green!! I haven't tried printing photos or craft items, but want to, is there a setting I need to change? not software savvy!

• donnas_gw
    15 years ago

I definitely agree about the Lexmark ink cartridges being expensive. One cartridge alone costs as much as a Lexmark printer!! I've also had it tell me I'm low on ink when I've just bought a new cartridge. It's like the printer doesn't know!! I didn't buy mine...the kids got it for me for Christmas a few years ago. It has a scanner also, and that is what I mostly used until I got my digital camera.

• maryanntx
    15 years ago

I have a Canon i960 and really like it. It uses separate cartridges for each color. I like that because I know I'm not wasting any ink. With the tri-color cartridges you have to replace even if you are out of one of the colors.

My ink tanks cost around $12 each and seem to last a long time. I do a lot of printing - photos, etc.

I've had other brands, but like Canon the best.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company