Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oddie_gw

redneck wine glass

oddie
13 years ago

Hi all, been awhile,dont get to craft much, made these as a gag gift for my stepsons birthday and thought I would share, should be a good craft fair iteam,dollar tree has the candle sticks,mason jars are everywhere, these are also know as hillbilly wine glass, desided they needed a charm, one has a k on the charm the other a heart for the honey in his life, dont do gag gifts much but atleast this one is useable.

now if I can remeber how to post photos.

oddie

Comments (39)

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

oddie good to see your post
    These are really clever and cute!!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Very cute! Glad to see you on here again! Jan

• party_music50
    13 years ago

haha. cute gag gift. :)

• oddie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, miss getting to chat with everyone also, maybe soon life will slow down and I can get back into crafting, and posting more then once a year LOL! gosh so many new names, but then its been awhile.
    Thanks for looking
    oddie

• grandma_bonnie
    13 years ago

I use etching cream to etch Redneck Wine Glass, Hillbilly Highball and Cowboy Cocktail on them - also Bride and Grrom on them too. They go well - of course, I sell mine for $7 - cheap but they move really will...

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Those are just too cute......I'm sure there is a market for them....just like everything else .......when the right person comes along!!

• cardinalee
    13 years ago

Hello, I'm brand new here but I'd like to ask a question? Your wine glasses are super. The bottle cap tag really is the icing on the cake. How can I make/get the little bull graphic inside the bottle cap?

• oddie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, found this sine on a image search, dont know if theres a copyrite on it or not, took it to a program and croped it and printed it out, the one inch punch fits the bottle cap right. heres a link to the sine, should be able to save it to your computer.
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q302/oddie3/dGEK.jpg
    oddie

• cardinalee
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing the info oddie, I'll take a look see.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I love these. the bull tag is brilliant.
    Etching sounds like a great idea too.
    Kathy

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Here is the sign. Hope you don't mind my posting it, Oddie. I suspect it is copyrighted, so we should be careful about use, particularly selling. Its a riot tho.

I'd like to buy one.

Kathy

• grandma_bonnie
    13 years ago

I just finished making 3 dozen for one of our local wineries. I put their name on it and with a festival coming up, they wanted to give them a try - Of course, with their name on it, I had to charge them up front before even starting on the job... lol I just looked online and boy are my prices low... But I get a fair price for the work and for the cost of the jar and the candlestick holder...

• E.Hodge
    13 years ago

Please tell me what glue to use. I wanted to use them for toasting at rehearsal dinner and don't want them to fall apart....

• grandma_bonnie
    13 years ago

I use E 6000 on them - I put a small bead on each surface and wait five minutes before putting them together.l Takes a day to cure.

• grandma_bonnie
    13 years ago

When I said "put a small bead" in my last message, I meant to put the bead along the edge of the candle stick holder and put a small amount in a continuous bead where the holder meets the mason jar. When I first made one, I used too much and it took over a week for it to dry/cure... So a small amount works great!

• tarid43_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I just love these. My question is how did you put the bottle cap on the wine glass. Did you glue it to the stem or did you somehow put a hole in it and add it to the chain. I can't tell by the pictures. thanks Tari

• oddie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I punched a hole in the bottle cap with a nail and ran the chain throu it, so the charm can be removed while washing.
    Thanks for the help with the posting didnt mean to ingore anyone, just been going throu some very hard times lately.
    oddie

• maggiemater
    12 years ago

These are so cute! anyone have a poem to add?

• sklisz66_aol_com
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tip! My sis found some for sale; I told her don't buy them, I'll make them :-)

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

oddie - if you want, I suggest you start selling them... They have taken off around here - I have four shows coming up and have 14 cases of the mason jars glued together ready to sandblast. I sold out twice last week-end so will try to keep more on hand... Just a heads up.

• nhume_aol_com
    12 years ago

grandma bonnie-
    Why do you sandblast the wine glasses?

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

I etch Redneck wine glass/cowboy/gal coctail on them - I did some special wones for a trail ride this week with the names of the gals on them...
    Here's a pic
    [URL=http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2467127850031401209yWnjPs][IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/87/87/1/27/85/2467127850031401209yWnjPs_th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Here is a link that might be useful: Cowgirl Cocktail

• jwahlton_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I'd like to make some of these for some fall shows. I can't find the post where it had photos of these for girls. Can anyone help me?

• SonnyG101
    12 years ago

What would be the best glue to put these redneck wine glasses together with? I see E 6000 in an above post. I can get that on Amazon. Is that a good place to but this E 6000?. I've also heard "liquid nails" makes a good glue and it can be bought at several places including Home Depot.

• msflora
    12 years ago

I love em oddie!! Is the bottle cap flattened out? I can't tell by the picture. What did you use to glue the no bull sign to the cap? Thanks for sharing, Leslie

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

Sonny - I buy my E6000 at Walmat for $2.97 - I can glue 3 - 4 DOZEN redneck wine glasses...

• ann_in_florida
    12 years ago

OMG...I haven't been here ins ages and it is so good to see all these "old friends" here!!! I think some of us go all the way back to the Aleene's forum...many years ago. I love the wine glasses! I say them at a show this weekend and the man was selling them for $15.00 each or 2 for $25.00...and they were selling like hotcakes. His were plain...with a little piece of jute tied around the bottom. He did have confederate "money" from each of the confederate states that people could choose from to go inside the glass. I would love to know how to do the etching, Grandma Bonnie. I would love to make some of these for Christmas gifts, as my budget is really thin this year.

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

Ann - I use a Cricut and a software program (MTC) to make stencils and then sand blast them but I started off using etching cream. I can't imagine trying to do this without stencils. Holler if I can help you.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I just saw something similar made with the candlesticks painted black. If anyone wants to make a slightly different version. It looked good. If it was a gift you could paint the stem to match someone's kitchen. I guess it would have to be washable glass paint for this use.
    Kathy

• ann_in_florida
    12 years ago

Thanks for your reply, Bonnie. I have a Cricut but never have seemed to have the time or patience to really learn how to get the most out of it. Is the program you're talking about one that you purchase? How much does it run and where do you get it? Is it user friendly or do you have to be a computer guru to figure it out?

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

unfortunately, the software program no longer works with the Cricut - PCCrafter (who manufatures the Cricut) sued the young man who pioneered the software and he had to change the software so it will no longer work with the Cricut - thank goodness they couldn't take the sotware away from those of us who already had the program -instad of having to buy cartridges from PCCrafters, I can use any font or graphic found on he internet... I am in the prces of buying another cutte so I can do even more. I am NOT a nerd or guru, but I am able to use it... I bouht the Cricut knowing I would be buying the MTC program three years ago and probably use it 1 - 2 hours a day...

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I bought a craft robo cutter (also sold under the name "sillouette")at work to cut vinyl letters to make signs. I can not only use any font, but a friend drew a graphic for me to use as my logo at a craft fair, and the robo cutter could cut that! It connects to my computer, so she emailed me a jpg, the cr software converted it to a cut file and it cut it!

I notice the place I got it, uscutters, doesn't sell this "craft style" one any more, just bigger more powerful (more expensive) cutters.

Although I love the robo cutter I'm not sure I'd recommend it because the software is a little rough around the edges and in fact didn't install correctly I had to call support. They were able to fix it however. AND I have saved a lot of money by cutting our own vinyl letters. It is very expensive to get a custom cut from a printer.

I'd be interested in knowing what you decide on Grandma Bonnie. I couldn't get the CR to work when I got a new computer with windows 7 and I tried to install the soft ware to it, so I have my old computer attached to it. This works ok since I was going to keep the old one set up in the other room anyway, but down the road I'll probably have 2 computers with windows 7 so its not ideal. I guess I could try to get them to help me again since it is clearly something wrong in the installation.

The fancy ones cut chipboard! I wish I could justify that for our business but I really don't need that capacity there.

Kathy

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

I have back to back to back shows 'till December but I'll try tp make tutorial on how I do the glasses -I use contat paper to make the stencils...

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

oooops ...fast fingers... Here is a tut when firt started etching the mugs It shows how I mask off the stencil (I used red contact paper here...) The equipment was borrowed an I have a 4' x 4' blasting cabinet along with a much larger air compressor and the blating gun is much better... Here's the tut but I will make a better one nex month.

Here is a link that might be useful: etching with the sand blaster

• lcatlla
    12 years ago

Love these! Are these glasses dishwasher safe? Does the glue stay strong for a long time?

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Someone is "selling" them on Listia. Is it you Oddie or Grandma Bonnie? Just wondering, they seem to be doing well. Totally plain with no words or tags, but with the cover on the jar.

FTOYWDK: Listia is an auction site where you get and spend points instead of money. You get points by joining and by "selling" things for points. Kind of interesting.

Kathy

• oddie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would say wash by hand, not me selling them but thought would be cute to fill with candy or a candle for valentines day, seen where a crafter used the wide short mason glass as a candy dish..looked cool.
    oddie

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

Yep - I did well this last year with them. STILL doing well with them... Figured the newness would wear off by this time... On my tag, I say, "hand made - hand wash..."Something I found out due to senior moment/week... I warm my wine glsses in the oven if I need to etch it quickly (he stencils stick better on a jar that in't cold...) - well, I forgot one and when I cooked dinner that niht, I discovred that one had been left in there... They seperate! Using E6000 glue has a drawback in that they DON'T come apart - even if you made a mistake or if it is crooked so now I can now FIX MY MISTAKES!!!!

• oddie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

good to know, I haven't made any more, showed one to a few people who thought they were cool but no buyers, and I live in a redneck town, I found the girl post if anyone wants it.TFL
    oddie

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH