Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kidd_gw

Hair Bows

kidd
15 years ago

I would like to make little girl hair bows for Easter and try at a craft show. Has anyone every sold these, and how much did you sell them for? How fancy were they ? Never make bows before.

Comments (21)

• missy11
    15 years ago

I just started making hairbows and hairbow holders along with other girly stuff... My first show was suppose to have been this weekend but because of the weather its not gonna happen, anyway......I make several kinds of hair bows from the boutique style to simple little hello kitty style... my prices are from $2 - $5... I wouldnt pay more than that for one so I dont sell them more than that... Other places sell them from $4 - $20 ... I just cant do that... but thats me... the more work I put into it the more I charge....
    I learned how to make them from a lady's youtube video. I can find it if you need it...
    zebra print and hot pink are big sellers and so is the brown and pink... I havent done a show but I do sell them to family and friends ... one friend now brings me the ribbons that she wants bow out of and I make bows for her in return I get to keep the remaining ribbon... Great deal for me... she works in the city and brings back all kinds of great color ribbon that I couldn't buy at walmart... lol....... the hard part for me is finding the alligator clips... their isn't a beauty supply store in this area so ... I guess I need to find a good place online to get them...
    I started making hairbows for my grand baby who is now 6 months old and has over 100 hairbows... no kidding!!! lol... and I still make bows to match new outfits... lol..
    I can post pic's of my bows if needed just let me know...
    Missy

• kidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Missy,

If you could post pictures and find the you tube site I would be greatful. Thanks for the info.

• ann_in_florida
    15 years ago

Yes, I would like to see pictures and look at the you tube site. I have a 2 year old grand baby that has just become hairbow crazy and her Nana hasn't a clue how to make them. Thanks.

• missy11
    15 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjDOfMoRvEY
    after making a few you won't have to do all the steps cause you will have it down...
    youtube has serval videos on bow making.. just go throw and check them out....

Here are few bows ready to sell

close up on some of the hairbows... sorry I don't know how to make the pics smaller...

hello kitty style

here is one of her Hairbow holders I made for her

I hope this helps... again sorry for the huge pics... if someone can tell me how to make them smaller that would be great!!!
    Missy

• kidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Missy,

Your bow look great. I hope mines will look half an good.

Can you show me the bottom side of the bow. What type of clips do you use?

• missy11
    15 years ago

Sorry but my camera and I arent getting along so I cant post a pic... lol... but I did find a site you can visit that gives good pic's and directions... i use heavy thread instead of wire
    http://alittlemoore.wordpress.com/2008/08/15/easy-peasy-tuxedo-hair-bow-tutorial/

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Missy, you do beautiful work!! When you said alligator clips, I thought that was little strange as ones I use for something else have pretty sharp teeth & you get them at tool store. Harbor Freight I think it's called 4 for 99cents but would pull their hair out or pinch them. Glad you showed the ones you use. They are gentle on little ones hair. Jan

• oddie
    15 years ago

Missy your bows are just Beautiful! love all the colors and how you put them together, will have to try anf make one for my GD shes all girly and loves all the glamor.
    TFS!
    oddie

• Cheri_C
    15 years ago

Missy, Your bows are absolutely gorgeous!!! Wonderful job on them!!!

• jenni_ca
    15 years ago

I make bows!
    For my daughters baby shower I made alot of them and made a bouquet out of them for the centerpiece on the table.

• oddie
    15 years ago

oh my, bouth ideas are so cute, and what a very clever way to display the beautiful bows you bouth make!
    Its nice that you keep your price to where most can afford and lots of little girls can have such beautiful bows for there hair!
    Happy Crafting
    oddie

• missy11
    15 years ago

Jenni_ca, your bouquet is a great Idea!!! may I ask about how big is the pot and about how many bows are in one centerpiece?
    I have enjoyed making bows for my grandbaby but I also make them for my 17 year daughter now too... Her and her friends are always asking for the small ones and also my daughter is a cheerleader so I make bows for each sport for them too... They love them!!!
    Missy

• jenni_ca
    15 years ago

Missy the pot is a 6" one. I put styrofoam in it to hold the sticks. The bows are on just regular skewers. The clips from the bows are just clipped on the sticks.
    There are ALOT of bows in the pot because it is not just one sided, they are all in the back also. There are about 45 bows in there. All sizes and kinds.

• kidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How do you get your bows to stand up. I have made a few and they seem to loose their shape. How do you tie your bows off as I don't sew. And do you hot glue them to the clip. Both of you ladies do great work and thanks. Missy what do you make your card out of and how do you put the slots in the middle to hold the bows.

• missy11
    15 years ago

Kidd, it depends on the kind of bow you made... the boutique bow stands up where the pinwheel lays flat... I use heavy thread to tie mine but I tie each one by themselves or it will be loose.. such as the blue one I posted a pic of... first I do the white flowery ribbon tie it tight then I do the blue ribbon tie it off.. then i glue them together and glue the center and clip on... I don't do any sewing on them either....
    I make my bow cards with card stock.. made my own design...four will fit on a regular sheet of paper or card stock... My friend and I will be selling things together so "Grandma's Heart" is the name of our group..lol.. I make the slots with my rotary cutter... just two simple little slits...

• kidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Has anyone made toggle headbands and clippers? Was looking at another site and the ladies there seem to sell a lot at the shows. There are two site I've been looking at that give out a lot of information , instructions and more. Not sure if I can list the names here? Don't want to do the wrong thing and get bared away. Maybe someone can let me know if I can list them.

• donnas_gw
    15 years ago

Beautiful bows!!! But why don't the sentences on this thread wrap around? I have to scroll all the way over to the right to finish reading each sentence. The other posts aren't like this one.

• missy11
    15 years ago

Donnas,.. I thinks its because i posted pics way to big... and two of them are right next to each other making the page bigger... thats what I am thinking... lol...
    Missy

• zshopper
    15 years ago

My computer crashed and there is no sound, I did pull up the Utube site and was able to get tips without the sound but I couldn't make out what was used to stop the ends from fraying, it looked like a cigarette lighter but I must be wrong. Would appreciate any input.

• missy11
    15 years ago

zshopper, yes it is a lighter... its the easiest to use.. the liquid stuff takes a few minutes to dry and the woodburner... well not everyone has one..lol...
    run the flame quickly...dont leave it to long or it will show a dark mark...
    some ribbons you will have to use the liquid stuff cause the lighter will melt it out of your shape... mainly the sheer ribbons...

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

I made some bows last night and I used the wired ribbon and they turned out really cute. Thanks for the Ideas.