Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_fl

Tiny seed beads or what?

sharon_fl
16 years ago

I'm making several cookie gift baskets for Easter gifts and I want to also place 3 decorated eggs in each basket. I want to use pastel colored eggs & coat them in the tiny clear glass beads so the color shines through.

Can I use the plastic 'fillable' eggs in pastels or no? Styrofoam eggs?

Am I saying the right kind of teeny beads? Seed beads or do they go by another name-there are no holes in them to string them.

Do the beads come in pastel colors and if so..would it be better to use that colored bead on that color of the egg?

Sooo (last question)..what type of glue should I use to adhere the beads?

Thanks for any help!!

Comments (13)

• oddie
    16 years ago

You could use what ever type of bead you like, I have seen them done in seed beads, clear plastic beads of all sizes,with holes, glitter, or diamond dust, some people use regular white glue, but I think I would use tacky myself, or even hot glue, the clear beads look beautiful over the plastic eggs of evey color! there are also pastel shades in the plastic beads,, I perfer the look of clear beads over colored plastic eggs myself, styrofoam eggs would cost alot more, so it just depends on the look you are after, check out this post on beaded eggs, very pretty!
    oddie

Here is a link that might be useful: pretty beaded eggs

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oddie-thanks! Wow-they sure are pretty. Methinks I'm going to try the even tinier beads & roll them to cover. Still pondering what type of glue to use tho...maybe decoupage?

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

I would use micro beads, they have no holes, and either double sided sticky tape (Michael's carries this) or spray adhesive, Sharon. You can usually find the beads in the scrapbooking section.

I want a cookie!

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Flamey-I got a bag of the eggs today as well as the tiny clear seed beads. Will give them a shot tomorrow. Why wouldn't decoupage glue work? Sure would be easier to brush it on than using hot glue. I think I have some spray adhesive on hand-I guess I'm just thinking the spray might not keep the beads in place as stongly as decoupage. Hmm-will try both.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Let me know what glue works for you. I tried some last year, and had a hard time getting even coverage for some reason. I really think they would be pretty with the sparkly beads all over them. Luvs

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

RATS!! I spent alot of time & $$ to bead the 6 plastic eggs-to no avail. I used Mod Podge first. I let it dry until tacky, then rolled the egg in the seed beads. The beads would not adhere. Next..I used spray stencil adhesive-no go-not tacky enough. Lastly I used an all purpose spray adhesive. They did adhere, so I let them dry overnight. Just now, I gently used my hands to brush off the excess beads and they ALL came off! BAH HUMBUG!! (they looked so pretty too!) If anyone can give me another choice-I'm game to try it. Really want to use the seed beads-they look so cool!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Sharon, I am so sorry it didn't work for you--like I said, I had the same problem. I didn't want to do hot glue because I figured I'd really burn myself allot! Someone on here told me about "Quick Grab" glue that she buys at Joanne's, I wonder if that would work. Maybe just do small sections at a time?

There HAS to be a way to do it, we see them all over the place, right?

Hope someone can give more helpful advice.

Luvs

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

I think hot glue would be too thick. Did you try double sided adhesive? I think it's made by 3M, comes in small sheets, about 5x7". It's super thick and sticky, it won't be cheap to use, but it will hold the littl micro beads, I used it on my turtle tin, inside the lid.

I wonder if clear silicone would work? It would be so messy, though. Good luck, Sharon!

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. Methinks I'm goona flag the ideas. As for the double stick pieces. Seems to be it would be hard to place it on a curved item like these eggs.Oh well..on to my next project!

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG!! Just had a thought! Wonder what would happen with clear, quick drying nail polish??

• oddie
    16 years ago

sorry about your project! I still say tacky glue,for the small beads, you need a real thick glue, to hold the beads on the slick plastic surface the eggs have, the thinner glue doesnt bite and hold, heres a link to a site where they used tackey glue, hope you deside to try your craft agine.
    oddie

Here is a link that might be useful: Beaded eggs useing tacky glue

• oddie
    16 years ago

Keep forgetting to ask you sharon_fl did you see on the painting fourm where I posted to your post there about useing something stripale to hang the wallpaper liner project in your GD room?
    I posted that my daughter used vaseline to hang border, taked to her the other day and she said you just have to be carefull and not use to much said she spread it all over the border useing a paper towel, and hopefully get it in the right spot the frist time, when putting up so you dont smear the vaseline, also cleanup any that get on the wall right away, blot with a paper towel and wipe with hot soapy water to remove all oil, said the key is useing a very small amout of the vaseline, would warn aginest useing this over flat paint, would soak up the oil, and stain, I am sure.
    just thought I would tell you incase you missed it.
    oddie

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oddie-THANKS for the link-will hit that after I post here. As for the strippable paste? I got the underliner paper and I'm just going to use regular wallpaper paste-and be done with it. If it rips...so be it! Thanks tho!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz