Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Decorating ideas with sea glass?

Posted by bubblpopelectrc (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 0:26

Hi,
I obtained a great deal of sea glass from my last vacation to Curacao, and now, I have no idea what to do with it! I guess I could just stick it in a bowl.. but that's not very exciting. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Decorating ideas with sea glass?

Here's one idea I found through an internet search.
http://craft.dow.com/proj/829.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Glass Craft

o

That looks really neat, and I'm sure I could apply the same techniques to other objects. Thanks!

o

I hope you don't think I am stupid, but what is "sea glass"

o

The (often from glass bottles, etc that are tossed into the water) glass that washes in on the beaches. The sand/waves polish them so that they are really smooth.

o

Have you thought about makeing jewerly with them? windchimes if the glass is large enough, suncatchers in a window, you could glue them to a scrapbooking page about your vacation, or even glued on a frame with a photo from your vacation, just a few things that come to mind, I love seeing pretty glass sprakle in the sun! you could use them on a bowling ball or a glass globe as a glazeing ball for your yard.
Happy Crafting
Oddie

o

I love all those ideas! What kind of drill bit would I use for making a hole in it?

o

I would say a glass drill bit, they do cost quite a bit thoe, if you are talking jewerly you might try wire wrapeing, I wasnt very good at it and gave up but I have seen some beautiful work
here is a link to some video on wire wrapeing
http://wire-sculpture.com/downloadvideos.php
share with us what you make with the beach glass, would love to see photos also.
Happy Crafting
Oddie

o

Chickeemama made a beautiful Christmas tree from a collection of beach glass.........check it out on the Stained glass and mosaic forum :)

Here is a link that might be useful: chickeemamas beach glass tree

o
I make votive holders out of it.

buy the plain votive holder, glue on the beach glass, then add grout, just like you do a mosaic.

o

I brought back a huge amount of sea glass from Hawaii, and I want to make a small outdoor patio table top with it. WHat could I use as the base that would be weather proof?

Katie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here