Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huggybear_2008

Huggy is wondering about a rug ????/

huggybear_2008
15 years ago

Hey, gang have any of you ever made a hook rug.. ???? I was wondering I know they make them now with Fleece. sooooo my thinking is this.. with the scraps you have left over from making things with Fleece, couldn't you save them and when you get enough, make strips of the fleece and just make some kind of crazy rug..using the fleece like you would yarn.. it sure would be soft.. Hummmm.. I am just thinking out loud..sorta..

Okay guys I will go back to my sewing machine.

Huggy

Comments (9)

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Sure!! We had a gal at our craft club that asked us to save leftover yarn, like the 3-18 in pieces when you are finishing off animals or afghans. She would cut them all & toss in a bag & put through the backing used for hooked rugs,no pattern, just random but usually area of 1 color such as pink going into area of lavender going into turquoise, going into yellow etc.She sometimes had a drawing & would make (loosely) green trees with lt blue sky & as she got to bottom added brown trunks & maybe 2 tone grass in different greens with little yellow & lime green added in. She just worked from 1 side to the other if she thought "tree" took up too much space she would make far side have shrubs or smaller trees, kind of like a Monet painting with just9x12 piece of paper for general idea of a pattern. Don't know why random design wouldn't work just fine with fleece. Only thing I wonder about is if they would stay tied when washed, guess the blankets do so rugs should too. Would be nice & warm on the feet!! Good Luck!! Also I have seen left over rags in a hooked rug, beautiful & very expensive!! I have a jacket of the cut rags sewn on cloth backing, I was given it & at store in Costa Mesa it was $239 for 1 made by same co. just different color. I think there are a couple of sizes for backing netting. With yarn it is about 3/8 in. holes, I think I have a scrap of something that is like 3/4 in. So that would work better for fleece or rags.Jan

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

My mom and I made them when I was in about 7th grade as a project in our after school playground activities in Chicago. We used burlap and traced a picture on it then used long strips of material I forgot all about it. I think Fleece would be great and hadn't heard about it. nice way to use up parts of fleece pj's I don't use too

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys, now with all my other stash.. I now have a stash of left over fleece.. hummmm wondering where I can hide it from Son who throw things away when I am not looking ..some folks just do not understand that someone else trash is some else treaure...Huggy is thinking hiding it behind the closet in grandson's bedroom .. don't think he would look there.. LOL Gosh.. so many things to do and such little time.. A crafters work is never done..
    Thanks again guys for not making me think I was goofy..
    Huggy

• oddie
    15 years ago

Huggy couldnt you use the fleece, cut in small strips, like the size of the old latch hook rugs kits( I think they were called) if I remenber right they were tied on one string at a time, for a backing maybe use that stuff you buy to put between floor and rug to keep rug from moveing, kinda looks like the holes in the latch kits,our k-mart had some rugs in there sell add this week that reminded me of these made from fleece I think.
    oddie

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

you know you are right Oddie, I think that is what I will do.. sorta get all the colors together and look for some kind of color chart. gosh I would think it would be soft under your feet when you get out of the shower ..
    I have a hook for latch hooking and I have some of that webbing that you are talking about.. I was going to use it for a rag rug.. so now I will use it for a Fleece rug.. now to find the time.. Oddie I work everyday 8:30 am until 5:00pm Monday thru Friday.. so most of my crafting is after work or on the weekends.. Thank God for a wonderful son who helps me with the housework and all the household chores. With Spring right around the corner I need to get most of my craft project done as garden will be needing planting .. and then I am almost done with the crafting until fall.. I will do some crafting like making tipsy pots for the yard and going to try some garden art.
    going to try and grow Lavender this year.. going to Hillsboro to a place where they grow it and she sells plants and she will give me pointers on how to grow it.. so I can dry my own for next year. Then I bought bikes for me and my grandson to ride this summer too.. oh my, wish me luck.. we do have some nice bike trails here..so I think it will be fun.. and my son said he would ride with him also.. so I am looking forward to Spring..
    Huggy

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well I started my rug.. but I think I need to make my strips a little narrower.. I broke my latch hook and need to get a new one.. LOL so I am going to make them a little bit thinner.. but it is fun.. you guys need to try it.. the webbing was on sale and it is really large.. I may end up cutting it in half.
    Huggy

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I would think 1 in. wide,it has to go in the hole without a struggle or you will give up on it in a hurry as your hands will get sore. Maybe 3/4 in. wide. Tell us so anyone else interested can make a note of it for future reference. Thanks, Jan

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

This is a neat idea, please keep us posted on your progress. Photos would be great too!

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will keep you guys posted and will post pics as I go along so you can see my progress.. that is if it looks half way decent..LOL okay I will post even if it looks bad and then you guys can help me to correct it.. that way I can make it nicer.. I think I will cut the webbing in half and make these rugs like for the bathrooms. nice to step out of the shower on or maybe next to bed so when you get up in the middle of the night no shoes will feel good on your feet.. LOL
    Huggy

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA