Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Post March Challenge Pics: Its Spring! Put on a Happy Face

concretenprimroses
10 years ago

Welcome to the March Challenge!
You are challenged to craft a creation in the medium of your choice that relates in some way to the theme: Its Spring! Put on a Happy Face!
Post your pictures and comments in this thread anytime during the month of March.
If this is popular, I (or someone else) will post an April Challenge thread in the last half of March.
Have fun!
Kathy

Comments (34)

• a.girl.named.max
    10 years ago

Hi Kathy,

You also posted the challenge on the conversation page of Garden Junk. Are you suggesting that the people on the Crafts and Decoration forum challenge the Garden Junkers?

I'm pretty sure that's not what you intended but I don't think that would be out of line. A little friendly competition can be fun. I'm not sure how that would be coordinated or on what side of the forum you would play? LOL

Sounds like fun either way!

• phish_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting this Kathy/concretenprimroses. I had been debating between a few of my different ideas to propose, and as a result, I hadn't gotten around to proposing anything! And actually "Think Spring" was on my list of potential ideas.

One thing I would suggest, especially for this first time around where we are hoping to get as much participation as possible. I think the goal should be for people to make something new for this March challenge. But for people who don't have time or an idea, but have already made something in the past that would fit the bill, I think they should be able to post a picture of the past project. Thoughts?

• cheryl_ok
    10 years ago

im in, but not sure exactly what to do
    should it be springy or happy or either or both?
    hope I make sense! LOL

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good thought Phish. I think we just want to see things that people have made, even if you didn't make it this month. Cheryl, I'd say either or both! I wanted to have the theme be pretty broad.
    Kathy

• phish_gw
    10 years ago

Yes Cheryl_OK, I say the theme is up for your own interpretation. I agree with Kathy that you could do springy or happy or both or however the theme inspires you. That's part of the fun, seeing the different creative interpretations people come up with.

• party_music50
    10 years ago

I have my idea for the March Challenge! I started it already. :)

In the meanwhile, I'll jump in and show you my latest "completed" craft project, but I reserve the right to change it. :) My front door is painted Colonial Blue (dark color) and well-shaded on a covered porch. It's been a long hard winter here and I wanted to make a brightly-colored wreath for that door. This is what I came up with, but I won't hang it until well into April. Maybe I should see how it looks on that blue door. lol! Is it too cutesy?

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I htink its charming. A perfect Easter wreath.
    Kathy

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

What a pretty wreath!! It Says HAPPY Easter. It should look very nice on your blue door. Thanks for sharing. Maybe it will inspire us all to begin!!!

• party_music50
    10 years ago

Thanks, oldcrafty and concretenprimroses!

I guess I was in a race to be first to post my entry for this "challenge"! Basket weaving is one of my passions, and this idea popped into my head for the "It's Spring" theme. I've been working on it all weekend... it's a large but slim door basket. The woven 'flowers' are supposed to look like hyacinths. :) Updated photo... THINK SPRING!!! :)

This post was edited by party_music50 on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 9:18

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is gorgeous! And definitely springy. I love the hyacinths. Well done and congrats on being first. I know what I'm going to do but I havent started.
    Kathy

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

Your basket is amazing and definitely says SPRING! The work is so neat and well done. You are surely in the bring spring on mood!

• party_music50
    10 years ago

Thank you, concretenprimroses and oldcrafty. :) I showed the pic to some friends and they seem to especially like this basket. After the pic was taken I decided to wrap the handle for extra strength, so I guess it's really done now. ;^)

I'm happy to have finished a project! I have too many other projects that are "in the works" right now and there's no end in sight for them. lol!

Can't wait to see everyone else's spring craft projects!

• cheryl_ok
    10 years ago

I have a couple ideas but need a little warmth before I head outside to see what I can find.

• cheryl_ok
    10 years ago

I have finished one which I will try to post a pic of, been ages and photo bucket has changed.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

VEry pretty and very springy Cheryl. Will you hang it on your door or keep it inside?
    I am working on my project still!
    Kathy

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

Very nice. Like how you tucked the moss in. Really gave it a nice touch.

• laurastheme
    10 years ago

Interesting projects. I especially like the basket. I might have to skip this month challenge. Had knee surgery a couple weeks ago and haven't bee recuperating as quickly as I had hope. I'll see how it goes over the next few days.

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

I am working at re-working an old yard art and trying to give it new life as the basic structure is still in good condition. Will post before and after pics. The weather is finally starting to get better here! Hope my project will fit in this category!

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am working on a mosaic. Definitely plan to have it completed by the end of the month! I'm eager to see other projects.
    Lauras theme, you could post something that you made in the past.
    Kathy

• phish_gw
    10 years ago

cheryl_ok, very cute, I love the bird!

concreteprimroses, I'm also working on a mosaic that I'm hoping to get through this month. Then I can post it on both this and the mosaic board!

• sameboat
    10 years ago

I have instructions on marbleizing fabric to make throw pillows. I just haven't done it yet. So many steps and time-consuming. I thought it would be a quick afternoon project!

• cheryl_ok
    10 years ago

Thanks y'all, I can do so much better but I've been busy with planning a June wedding here at the farm and busy with flower beds and gardening, etc.
    I was playing one day and thought it was better than nothing seeing how I said I would participate!
    Can't wait to see them all posted

• maybee_gw
    10 years ago

My Fairy Garden...I love this thing...

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybee, that is sweet! Looks like you had a lot of fun finding the little acoutrements.
    I am going to finish my mosaic this weekend so I can post in March!
    Kathy

• phish_gw
    10 years ago

Since I suggested a craft challenge, I figured the least I could do was participate! And I also get to experiment with posting pictures now. Anyway, this is my "Spring" birdhouse (and sadly, my Springy decorations that were the inspiration didn't make the cut!).

• sameboat
    10 years ago

This is fun seeing everyone's Happy Face projects! Here's mine. I was going to marbleize fabric and then make throw pillows but that hasn't happened yet. I filled my wall sconces with artificial greens and flowers. I love anything mossy and earthy, twigs and berries and woodland. I also live near the ocean, so I added seashells and mossy greens that I thought mimic seaweed. There are two dark corners in my living room that needed some light, and I've been smiling at them since I finished a few hours ago! These will take me right through Summer until I switch out for twigs and fall leaves. (My iPad only posts one pic at a time)...

• sameboat
    10 years ago

Here's what they look like together in my living room! Sorry so dark. iPad takes lousy pics at night...but I couldn't wait 'til tomorrow to post!

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very pretty colors phish! I love it. Will you put it out for the birds, or is it a decoration?
    Sameboat I'm amazed at how real your arrangement looks. Good choices.
    I can't post until tomorrow after I grout. I must say having this challenge is pushing me to finish.
    Phish, will you post an April Challenge?
    Kathy

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

97-9575-dbf1e9a747ed.jpg.html" target="_blank">

It was time for a Bunny Make-over so decided they would be my Spring Challenge. I made them 10+ years ago and they made lots of Easters special and lots of photo time with the grandkids. As you can see in the (1st and 3rd) pics they had lost their charm! They are back in shape and will give a lot more good years of enjoyment.

• party_music50
    10 years ago

wow, I started so early that I had forgotten about this. Great projects, everyone!

I just finished another "trash to treasure" type thing. Total experiment here -- I disassembled an old golf trophy plaque, painted it, and added pressed flowers from my garden last year (another experiment!) using mod podge. I love it. I would like to get better at this!

• sameboat
    10 years ago

Party music that is right up my alley! How pretty!

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Old crafty such fun bunnies! Same boat great recycling and so pretty.
    I'm going to have to post mine tomorrow. It needs to cure before I can clean it.
    Kathy

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I decided i had to get it in in March. Its a bit dirty still. And my face isn't very happy. I decided that I wanted to learn to make mosaic faces from broken dishes. It was a lot harder than I thought. I made two faces, one on each side of this vase. Here is one, with flowers.

I'm going to post more details and the other, less face like face on the mosaic forum.
    Happy spring!
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: My post on mosaic forum with other face and details

This post was edited by concretenprimroses on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 22:30

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

Some really unique projects have been posted! The bird house is adorable with such soothing colors, LOVE the wall sconce, fairy garden is awesome and the dried flowers are really good! How did you use modge podge to create that? sounds interesting. So what is the next challenge going to be.....this one was fun!