Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie1971_gw

Old Keys -- What to Do?

annie1971
16 years ago

I would be interested in any ideas on what to do with bunch of old keys. All shapes and sizes - some are well over 100 years old. I don't know why these were kept in my family (except that nobody threw anything away) and I don't know why I wasn't able to toss them when I found them in the basement when clearing out my mom and dad's things.

I'd like to do something tasteful and fun to display them. I don't really want to just toss them in a basket.

Any suggestions on how to clean them up? Can I put them all into something to soak?

Comments (13)

• maddya
    16 years ago

Just shout out ODDIE or LUVS and I bet they will know what to do!!!
    Maddya

• annie1971
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks maddya, but I'm new at this forum. I don't know what that means.

• Crafty Gardener
    16 years ago

I've made a key windchime and also used keys in a mosaic stepping stone. You can find them on my website in the craft room section.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftygardener.ca

• panthermom
    16 years ago

annie,
    I have seen projects where old keys were framed in some shabby chic looking frames, with glass removed, and the keys are just glued on to some neat looking paper in the frame, I think these would look really neat, you could arrange a few of them together on the wall.
    I would look at some trash to treasure sites, they are great.

• enjoyingspring
    16 years ago

craftygardener, that is a great website you have. I have booked marked it. Thanks

• Crafty Gardener
    16 years ago

Thanks enjoyingspring

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Craftygardener had some good ideas for your keys, and what a nice website! I'll be going back to check out more of her projects.

Maddya, you are too sweet, not sure I can live up to your expectations! ;o)

I've seen old keys displayed in those memory boxes. The one I loved best had a background of a yellowed letter, old pair of eyeglasses, a couple keys, an old picture, etc.

Even if you just mounted a few of them on a weathered piece of wood, they would make a cute display.

I need to find the link to Robolady's website for you, she has lots of great trash to treasure pages, and I think she had some great key windchimes and other projects on there.

In the meantime, you might want to see this site, the project with an old key on it is about a third of a way down the page. Maybe it will trigger an idea for you. Whatever you do, don't throw them away! Most of us look for things like that at TS, YS and GS's all the time.

Most of us like the old rust look, but if you don't, you could clean them by putting them in a rust remover. You can find it in places like Lowe's and Home Depot.

Hope you will come back and show us pics of whatever projects you make with them. ;o) Glad to have you joining in here. Welcome!

Luvs

Here is a link that might be useful: Old key craft

• annie1971
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all of you! I'll definitely do something with them. Probably a combination of things. I'm not too crafty, but I'll come up with something and share it with you.

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

Ok, you might think I am crazy but we paint Santas and snowmen on them and hang them on the tree as decorations. It isn't easy to do but it is sure cute. These are the old skeleton type keys, I assume. I had to buy mine at one of the painting shows - and it was a reproduction I am sure. Check out Chris Haughey's website at www.cdwood.com. It will show you the keys she paints.
    B

• honeysuckleridge
    16 years ago

I use them in my prim decor...I have old canning jars full of keys,marbles,cracker jack prizes and such here and there all over the house.
    There are several "Key Poems" all over the net for making them into gifts. The "Key of Friendship", etc....
    I have a thing for keys,clocks,maps,globes,old silverware, china and books..lol
    Keys are huge in altered art as well.
    best of luck,
    ginger

• oddie
    16 years ago

If you are not so much into crafting, you can make the santa keys, like ginger said the poems are everywhere on the net, and is a simple craft to make.
    gosh I so love seeing the sites posted! beautiful projects! love the painted keys, if you do a search so many projects will come up, lots to look at.

welcome to the fourm! as you can see there are alot of crafters here with good ideas, please come back and share with us your projects!
    oddie

• snolady
    16 years ago

This is simple and neat idea.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• quilting101
    16 years ago

Old keys make great primitive decor, just thread a piece of homespun cloth through several of them and tie it in a bow. Lay them on a counter next to a few other primitive decor items. As for shining them up, please dont the authentic look is much better and do not toss them out they often bring a nice price at auctions. Check out the website link for primitive decorating ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Primitive Decorating Ideas