Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
june_nd

Pictures on foam board

june_nd
17 years ago

Has anyone cut out pictures and pasted them to foam board or some soft board that you can cut them out and stand them up? I cut these pictures out and put them on 1/4 inch foam board. I used an xacto knife to cut them but you really don't get a smooth finish on the sides.

I have seen them advertised but not sure what is used.

{{gwi:1474976}}Hopefully you can see what I am trying to do

June

Comments (10)

• oddie
    17 years ago

Never done that, but I think you did a wonderful job! what a neat idea, thanks for shareing, love seeing everyones projects.
    Happy Crafting
    Oddie

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

I'm wondering if you could take an iron - maybe one of those new tiny quilting irons and lightly press the sides to smooth them. Just an idea

• User
    17 years ago

When I did framing, I was taught to take a sanding block to smooth the brown paper where it was glued to the frame back. It was so much more accurate than using a razor blade.

For your tiny curves, try a fine sandpaper wrapped around a pencil and rub the edge lightly from the photo side toward the foamboard at a 45degree angle to smooth the edges.

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

What a great job, and great idea. Please let us know if the sandpaper works on the foam board. I find it very hard to cut, you did an excellent job.

• wackyweeder
    17 years ago

I cut foam board using a hot knife, its a blade that goes on my wood burning iron like an exacto knife. it cuts it like butter and leaves a smooth edge.

• june_nd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The foam board that I have has a paper covering on both sides plus the photo paper that I use. I did try some sand paper but it left the paper part rather rough and raggy looking.
    I live in a small town where I can't buy much but do get to Fargo and Bismarck where there is a Hobby Lobby. Is there another kind of foam board without the paper on it?

June

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

If it is really rough you might try pasting some gesso on the edges then smoothing that down.

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

June, the foam board I get from AC Moore is the same as yours. I have used it to make signs, and usually put colored duct tape around the edge to form a border, and seal from the weather. That is why I was interested to see if any of the tips worked for you, as those pics require lots of cutting.
    Maybe that heat thingee would work, but I don't have a wood burning tool! I think those pics would make great table decs for a birthday party, etc.

• june_nd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have some ideas that I want to try but have to wait till I get out of town. My daughter thought they would make great table decorations for graduations, etc.
    Here is something I did for my grand daughters graduation but just on regular card stock.

{{gwi:1474977}}June

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Those are adorable! I did something sim for my ds 30th bday. I wanted the centerpieces to be a bit masculine, so I got those shiny metal paint buckets from Lowes. They are inexp and come in all diff sizes. I thook pics of him growing up and mounted the on const paper and made collages around the outside of the can. I found some nice plants in pots that fit inside the buckets and put a stick with another pic coming out like you did. I had to do 10 so it was time consuming, but the tables looked nice. Thanks for sharing yours, I haven't mastered how to get my dig pics to the forum yet!!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES