Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pictures on foam board

Posted by june_nd (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 5, 07 at 16:39

Has anyone cut out pictures and pasted them to foam board or some soft board that you can cut them out and stand them up? I cut these pictures out and put them on 1/4 inch foam board. I used an xacto knife to cut them but you really don't get a smooth finish on the sides.
I have seen them advertised but not sure what is used.

Hopefully you can see what I am trying to do

June

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pictures on foam board

Never done that, but I think you did a wonderful job! what a neat idea, thanks for shareing, love seeing everyones projects.
Happy Crafting
Oddie

o

I'm wondering if you could take an iron - maybe one of those new tiny quilting irons and lightly press the sides to smooth them. Just an idea

o

When I did framing, I was taught to take a sanding block to smooth the brown paper where it was glued to the frame back. It was so much more accurate than using a razor blade.

For your tiny curves, try a fine sandpaper wrapped around a pencil and rub the edge lightly from the photo side toward the foamboard at a 45degree angle to smooth the edges.

o

What a great job, and great idea. Please let us know if the sandpaper works on the foam board. I find it very hard to cut, you did an excellent job.

o

I cut foam board using a hot knife, its a blade that goes on my wood burning iron like an exacto knife. it cuts it like butter and leaves a smooth edge.

o

The foam board that I have has a paper covering on both sides plus the photo paper that I use. I did try some sand paper but it left the paper part rather rough and raggy looking.
I live in a small town where I can't buy much but do get to Fargo and Bismarck where there is a Hobby Lobby. Is there another kind of foam board without the paper on it?

June

o

If it is really rough you might try pasting some gesso on the edges then smoothing that down.

o

June, the foam board I get from AC Moore is the same as yours. I have used it to make signs, and usually put colored duct tape around the edge to form a border, and seal from the weather. That is why I was interested to see if any of the tips worked for you, as those pics require lots of cutting.
Maybe that heat thingee would work, but I don't have a wood burning tool! I think those pics would make great table decs for a birthday party, etc.

o

I have some ideas that I want to try but have to wait till I get out of town. My daughter thought they would make great table decorations for graduations, etc.
Here is something I did for my grand daughters graduation but just on regular card stock.

June

o

Those are adorable! I did something sim for my ds 30th bday. I wanted the centerpieces to be a bit masculine, so I got those shiny metal paint buckets from Lowes. They are inexp and come in all diff sizes. I thook pics of him growing up and mounted the on const paper and made collages around the outside of the can. I found some nice plants in pots that fit inside the buckets and put a stick with another pic coming out like you did. I had to do 10 so it was time consuming, but the tables looked nice. Thanks for sharing yours, I haven't mastered how to get my dig pics to the forum yet!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here