Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yo yo flag?

Posted by danaoh (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 5, 07 at 15:33

has anyone made an American flag using yo yo's? I am trying now, but don't know if I should put it on backing or what?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yo yo flag?

Have never made these , but maybe if you can tell us a little more about your project someone could help. how big are you makeing the flag, and what you are useing it for? and any photos would help. sorry I cant be much help.
Happy Crafting
oddie

o

You can do it either way but traditionally, yo-yo quilts didn't have a backing. Yo-yo quilts are actually coverlets and were just laid across other bedding.

How big is your flag and what do you plan to do with it? Whether or not you need backing may depend on your plans. Yo-yo quilts and other items made by joining them, don't hold up incredibly well so if they are large and you plan to hang it somewhere, it will pull at the seams. They do require a lot of fixing over time.

I started making a quilt about two years ago. I posted pics this fall of my progress..I was up to about 1000 yo-yo's. I haven't touched it in a few months because I grew tired of it. I'll pick it up one day and get back into it, I'm sure but for now, it's laying on the bench at the foot of my bed :)

o

I am doing a small one - my circles are 7 inches. Thinking 2 or 3 across and 2 or 3 down for the stars, then red with tiny white stars for the red stripe, and white with tiny blue stars for the white stripe. The stars are a navy background with bigger white stars. Thinking I might put it in a frame (without the glass, of course).

o

You wouldn't need a backing then. The yo-yo's will hold up just fine in a frame because they'll be attached to the whatever you use for the backing there. A smaller item like that won't have as much trouble as say a quilt for a bed.

When you say 7" you mean prior to making the yo-yo, correct? When you are reading about yo-yo sizes, they usually measure them after they are made :)

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here