Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting a toilet

Posted by danaoh (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 15:09

has anyone ever painted a toilet? don't know if I want it all one color, it is in the basement, so maybe some fish or something, or stripes? Anyway, has anyone done it, how has it worked out and most importantly, what did you use and how did you do it?

I figure if anyone has done it, it is the people on the forum =

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting a toilet

I went to www.ask.com and input "how to paint a sink or a toilet" found this
I painted a sink(Kitchen) several years ago and used a product " tough as tile" I also have my kitchen tiles painted this way at least since ten years. It's an epoxy pain and self leavelin. No brush marks and it look like porcelain. Now, if you like to marble the sink take take either china paint and depending on the size you could cure it in the dishwasher.(hopefully)
An other option, just use acrylic paints and varnish at least 25 to 30 coats. I did this in a designer showcase and it still holds up. Naturally the last two otions are "high maintenance" for the owner because ideally they should always wipe the sink after each use(which I do anyway I am so compulsive LOL) I also gold leafed a sink and gave it lots of varnish and it still holds up also, but this is in a powder room.Don't forget to disassemble the sink whatever you do. I mean remove stoppers, metals etc.

o
RE: painting a toilet

I've painted tons of toilet seats, but never an entire toilet.

To paint a toilet seat, prime the lid with FLAT white paint. Paint your design with acrylic paints. Always use several thin coats as opposed to one or two thick ones. Let the seat dry at least overnight. Coat wih several coats of clear indoor/outdoor varnish. Don't use abrasive cleansers, just clean with a dampp cloth. I wouldn't advise painting the seat itself.

As far as painting the toilet itself, I would think that you could use deco perm enamel to paint designs on the outside of the bowl. The longer that paint cures, the more durable it is. Just be sure to clean the surface well with vinegar or alcohol and make sure that it's dry before painting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here