Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
edges and fringe on fleece blankets

Posted by huggybear_2008 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 13, 09 at 14:35

Here are two different kinds of edges and fringe for your single layer fleece blankets I am going to sew around the entire blanket with a fancy stitch right above the fringe the yellow one.. and also will sew just above the fringe on the rabbit ear fringed one too. the yellow was done with my scalloped edge rotor cutter
Huggy
Photobucket
RABBIT EAR FRINGE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: edges and fringe on fleece blankets

show pic's after you get it done....please...

o

okay I will. I have to make a baby blanket tonight for tomorrow for family member who I did not know was going to be at my son's house when we go there tomorrow so now I have make sure I have their baby blanket done.. so as soon as I get back to these baby blankets I will take pics..
Huggy

o

How do you do the rabbit ear?

o

Huggy, the rabbit ear one is adorable. What a cute way to dress up a blanket. Hope you had a great visit with your son.

o

here is what I did instead of using fringe on single layer receiving blankets made from fleece to send to hospital recBaby blankets single layer with fancy stiching..

this is the edge I put on the premie blankets..

and this is the special fabric I found for the premies..
baby blanket I made for hospital

o

Here is the blanket I made for my nephew and his wife their first baby girl due anytime.. this was before I did the fringe on this one.. it is pink and the back is sorta a rose color.. I used my scalloped edge rotor cutter to cut the fringe.. when completed I will post another picture..
baby blanket made for nephew and his wife first baby

o

I liked the stitching around preemie blankets, No fringe to choke on! It looks like you keep the fringe pretty short & that's a good idea. I really like the rabbit ear one, do you stitch it from behind to get it to look like "rabbit ear"? Tell us how you do it!! Thanks! Jan

o

sunnyca, I have not done the rabbit ears yet.. but plan on it on one of the next blanket I make.. but here are directions. It came from this web site

http://www.linusidaho.org/finishafleeceblanket.htm

Picket Fence & Bunny (or Hounds) Ears:
Cut fringe 1 1/4" wide x 2" long. Cut ends as shown in picture.

Optional: Cut a small slit (no longer than 1/4" long) at the base of the fringe. Pull fringe through the hole to make a "Bunny Ear." If you don't make the end pointy - you have a "Hounds Ear."

o
RE:when making the blankets here are some tips

If you go and check out the web site
http://www.linusidaho.org/finishafleeceblanket.htm
they give you many tips on making the blankets and also tips on laundry.. I have always been told not to use Liquid fabric softner in your washer. it does something to the fleece fabric and it will not keep its softness.. you can use fabric sheets in the dryer, but if they are going to the hospital I do not use them in the dryer either as the chemicals in the dryer sheets could hurt the tiny babies.. I use a mild laundry soap and that is it.. no softners at all.
Huggy

o

I really like the scalloped edge!!

How often do you use your scalloped edge cutter? Just wondering if it's worth the cost.

o
Thanks

Thanks,huggybear!! I really like the edges & GF is going to be greatgrandma again soon, she likes to sew so this should be nice project for her. Did you ever use scissors for the edge or would it be too hard? Probably too hard on hands as mostly for cutting papers. Jan

o

Good morning all, Amberscu and Sunnyca to answer your questions.. I just got my scalloped blade for my rotary cutter and have been using the heck out of it.. I also bought a new rotary cutter as mine was older and was not the same one for that blade < I was able to get mine on sale at Hancocks Fabrics and they have others.. I think the name of the rotary is Of???? somthing.. and that is the same for the blade. For me it has already paid for itself.. Sunnyca I would think the scissors would be hard on your hands.. but you could try pinking shears. if they are good and sharp.. try it on a scrap piece of fleece. One thing I was always taught as a child is never , never use your sewing scissors on paper...it does something to them like makes them dull... so I have paper scissors and fabric and sewing scissors.. I watch for estate sales and on line auctions.. sometimes they will have sewing baskets on sale and you can get them with threads, needles, and scissors in them and most of the time they are fairly cheap.. a good pair of scissors can cost a lot.. but most of the older folks always bought good scissors and these are the ones you can get at estate sales and auctions..
Huggy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here