Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tote Bags

Posted by decordiva_4ever (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 11, 07 at 14:16

I have a real nice blanket coat with self fringe & a couple of lined suede jackets that have some damage, but still a lot of useable material. I would like to make carry/tote bags with them. The blanket coat, I would like to take advantage of the fringe, incorporating it into the bag, and use yarn or such to cross stitch the seams. Does anyone have experience with this?; hand sewing, as no sewing machine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tote Bags

heres a link for makeing a tote bag, you could hand sew, just take longer, if you do a google search for tote bag alot comes up, you might check out the others there.
http://www.make-it-easy.com/opentot2.html
Happy Crafting
oddie

o

decordiva..I've used blankets for sewing before...and I just used a blanket stitch using yarn instead of thread..The blanket stitch is an embroidery stitch and if you need to, you can do an internet search to find directions for it..it's an easy stitch, and holds blanket material together very well.
You could also use an overcast whip stitch using artificial sinew or crochet thread to match/contrast on the suede jackets to join them too. The stitches on both show on the outside of the finished project, but lend a quality handmade look to the pieces.
Show us pix of your finished projects!
and good luck!

o

Thank you for posting this query. I've been wanting a lot of suggestions for making tote bags for all of our great grand children. That means 13 of them. I need something that is easy because of my health. I do have a sewing machine. ggks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here