Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to display basket on side?

Posted by sweet_tea (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 08 at 12:11

I have an old Native America basket. It is about the size of a large pizza but shaped like a bowl. It has a nice pattern in the inside with more than one color.

My wish is to display this basket on its side and place it atop a plant shelf that is 8' high - so the inside pattern is visible.

I am wondering what I would need to place under or behind the basket to keep is on its side. Note that this basket might be worth a bit of money(guessing maybe up to $1000, but really not sure at all), so I don't want to do anything that would harm it in any way. It is believed to be around 80 years old or so and a Navajo basket and a real nice one at that. I have been keeping it safe in a box and figured it is time to display it and enjoy it. The plant shelf won't get any sun, but I wonder if dust will be an issue over time that could affect the value or durability of the basket.

Was thinking about placing it on a scrunched towel or something, but I don't think that will keep it on its side due to the bowl shape of the basket.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to display basket on side?

Maybe if it really is worth some money, it might be worth having a metal stand made. Something like a plate holder only shaped rounded to fit the curve of the bowl. There should be someone who works with wrought iron somewhere.

Otherwise I would be afraid it would go flat on one side.
Unless you made sure you turned it frequently.

patti

o

A metal bowl stand or a deep plate stand should work - it would allow the curve of the basket at the bottom to be sitting off the shelf or cabinet, so that it wouldn't flatten.

But if it is really that valuable, I would contact a local museum and ask them what they would recommend. They might suggest keeping it on a stand of some kind, but inside a display case to protect it from dust and things in the air, as well as light fading. You don't necessarily need something to be in direct sun to have fading issues.

o

Les917 has a good suggestion. Also, I weave.

Does the basket have any kind of finish on it, something maybe shiney to make you think it has been varnished or anything? I hope not.

Is it brittle? Baskets need to be lightly misted once in a while to keep them from drying out and breaking. NOT SOAKED! They will mold.

Is it tightly woven so it is very firm? If so, you might be able to just lay a piece of the non-slip shelf liner under it to keep it from slipping. It would need to be a very tightly woven basket for this to work and keep it from creating a flat spot.

I think a good idea might be to do a search for your area for a Basket weaving guild, and see if you can get it valued and suggestions from them. I am not, by any means, an expert. I just like to weave on occasion. (Which I should be doing right now for a shower gift!)

Can you post a picture of the basket? I would love to see it.

Tami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here