Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danaoh_gw

any ideas or suggestions?

danaoh
15 years ago

I will post this somewhere else, too, but I know you are all so helpful. I am 61 years old, no college degree, just laid off. Last year I made quite a few felted wool purses from sweaters. Loved doing it, they turned out really cute. Only did one craft show, sold 2 or 3, very disappointing, but between (probably) wrong audience and economy, not good. Will have uemployment for awhile, but am wondering if it would be worth trying to sell these on e-bay, or find a local store that might take them on consignment. Any ideas?

Comments (4)

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

Hi danaho, I would suggest you choose several different crafts to make and try not only craft shows but also flea markets.. local stores that sell handcrafted items and also check your price.. and like you said check your audience and where the craft shows are.. compare the price of your booth.. also check to see if you can share a booth with someone and split the cost.. Isty.com I think is a free craft site.. not sure if that is the name or not. but if your purses are good, I am sure there is something else you can make just as well.. think about it.. and flea mmarkets booths are usually cheaper and have a larger crowd. always remember.. the customer is your main objective.. treat them well, give them your full attention, and do not sit and read or talk on your cell phone.. while working your booth.. show how happy you are to be there and what a great product you have..
    Good luck and keep hanging around here.. lots of good ideas here.
    Huggy

• jaybird
    15 years ago

ETSY.com is a great site....Huggy is right on!!

Here is a link that might be useful: free site

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

I think etsy only charges 20 cents per listing then something when you sell. If you decide to list there (or anywhere) be sure to post a link to your store for us.
    kathy

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

You could make felted hats to go with the purses. They wouldn't have to match, maybe slippers. I would think the hats with your own additions of trim, either antique pins or crocheted or felted trims etc. Might try & ask at Thrift shops.Goodwill store or Salvation thrift shop if they are hiring or ask at your church if minister knows of anyone needing help maybe even your neighbors, let them know you are looking. If you are in small town probably not much available. But I would work on that right away & then when you have checked that all out you can make the hats, purses etc. Because with the products may take while to get started,or take part time job & get products ready. If a large factory in your town closed down probably not going to make too many sales at local craft sale as everyone afraid of losing their jobs so size up what shape your town is in & scan the paper & take note of layoffs. Might check in with person at library or Chamber of Commerce- people often strike up conversation with folks that are in public eye a lot & someone might have mentioned they are hiring. Does your town have website, have you looked on it to see if they have any jobs listed? Things are changing so fast it is hard to keep up, after SIL gave up very well paying job & raised kids for 8 yrs her profession wasn't interested in her so she couldn't find anything. I suggested to DB that she take a course or 2 at college even tho she had master's degree. She did & got into teaching. Jan