Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oddie_gw

post your ideas for useing tissue paper

oddie
16 years ago

so much can be done useing tissue paper,one of my favorite products to use when covering projects! I am sure you crafty people have alot of ideas care to share them?

heres a cigar box purse I made a few years ago, could do alot better job now! sorry about the photo kept getting alot of glare so had to tone it down, this is a leather look useing red and black oil base paints, and has a high gloss look, dont need to tell you who the lady is.

oddie

Front

Comments (21)

• annabell40
    16 years ago

wow this is absolutely gorgeous...you must share how you did this....

I am currently covering a plastic box with tissue using photo glue to see if I can paint over it. I already have covered foam boards and they look like a canvas. Then, I have painted over them with acrylic. I also saw on HGTV tissue covered furniture and then varnished...Looked awesome too.

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, I just used watered down white glue, to the box one area at a time, layed the crumbled tissue paper over the area and pressed lighty with my finger tips ,till the paper lays down and is covered well with glue ,dry well atleast over night, painted the box with a oil base paint, then used a black oilbase paint to sorta antique with, brushed it on and went over it with paint thiner to remove some of the paint, no other finish needed.
    would so love to see or read about the tissue covered furinture you are talking about, sounds so cool and maybe something I would like to try on a project I am doing, just in case I cant find the info would you direct me as to where I might find it?
    TFS!
    oddie

• annabell40
    16 years ago

Oddie,

Here's the link I've never tried this...I have so many ideas don't know what to do first, LOL

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_kitchen_bath_other/article/0,1797,HGTV_3748_1373288,00.html

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, cool idea! I know what you mean about to many projects!
    but gosh cant pass all that info by LOL!
    oddie

• annabell40
    16 years ago

today, I am attempting to put tissue paper on plastic and then painting...I've never tried this...I'm going to start with a little plastic box and see how it works. I've been working with tissue paper for a while and figured it out that the longer I leave the glue to dry, the better it is to work with the paint later. Happy Sunday everyone!

Anna

• sweets98
    16 years ago

I like to use tissue paper to transfer a pattern onto wood or another piece of paper or something like that. You take a pencil and trace the pattern onto the tissue paper. Then put the pattern where you want it and use a permanent marker to go back over your pencil lines. The marker bleeds through and you can see where your lines are.

I learned this way back when I was in 4th grade. A bunch of the teachers were going to a class where they did this so they could make things for their bulletin boards :) They were using the projector to make the characters and items larger and then laminating everything :)

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sweets98 thanks for the info! never heard of that one, I can see it comming in handy for alot of projects! sure will keep it in mind.
    anna how is your project comming along, I have glued tissuepaper on those plastic eggs, and it works great, and yes the longer your project drys the better.
    oddie

• annabell40
    16 years ago

Oddie,

It's coming along. I want to wait a week before I even put paint on it. I used a disposable plastic cup just in case. My ultimate project, if it works, LOL :), is covering a rather big plastic box and painting it to place it as a storage box in my living room. Sometimes I feel that I spend more money on supplies than if I just bought the finished product from someone else. But, that would not be any fun.

sweets98 - I love this idea you shared. I"ve never heard of it. :)

Anna

• annabell40
    16 years ago

sweets98,

I got home yesterday and experimented. I traced an image on tissue paper with a red coloring pencil. Then, I pressed the image onto my watercolor paper with a red marker and, my image came out in red which makes the lines really easy to hide when I go over it with paint.

Oddie, the little plastic cup is almost ready for painting. Will keep you posted. :)

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wonderful info! I have colored traceing paper I picked up at a yard sale, but dont always have the right color for what I am doing, makes covering up a hard job, I will so keep this tip in mind, thanks agine sweets!
    anna cant wait to see your finished project! sure sometimes its cheaper to buy, but like you said wheres the fun!
    had so wished we would have gotton more post with idea, I just know there has to be more!
    oddie

• annabell40
    16 years ago

I also want to try taking a photo, glue it to a board, covering it with tissue paper and glazing with a transparent acrylic gel. Never done this. Ideas just keep popping up in my head even when I'm working...LOL

I will add this to my experiment list.

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

This has nothing to do with the subject...but I just wanted to say...when we were teens....our Big "Rock" radio station was "Sweet 98"...the best anywhere...we loved it.
    I think about it everytime I see Sweets98's name....LOL

Just a little tidbit for the day.

patti

• sweets98
    16 years ago

LOL, Patti :) That's not where my name came from, though! LOL My DH calls me Sweets. It started as a joke really. He was being incredibly silly one night when my friend and her bf and Jer and I went to the movies. We were late getting in there and ended up in the balcony of the old movie theater. The lights just dimmed and everything got quiet and Jer says, "PPPSSTTT...you wanna sip of my Sprite, My Sweet?" a bit louder than he needed to. We busted out laughing. He called me "My Sweet' and then switched to Sweets over time. :) And the 98, is the year I graduated from high school. Now you know :D

• bulldinkie
    16 years ago

I make a wreathwith tissue paper ,cut pieces about3" wide by about 6" Long.Take a metal hanger bend into shape of circle.Put the paper on hanger in the center of pieces.Take each piece ,grab hold of paper twist at center of piece of paper.Teist in oposite diections.Like twist right with right hand and twist backwards with left hand.Go to next till the whole hanger is covered.Then decorate.

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hey pattico where are you from? I remenber that station! just dont remenber where I was liveing when I listened to it! its tough to get older and lose your mind LOL!
    sweets 98 love your story so cute!
    might try the wreath, have seen a few! do you have any photos love seeing them, sometimes it just takes one done well to inspire you, thanks for shareing your idea, just knew there had to be more ideas!
    anna good luck with your project! cant wait to see your photos, keep those ideas poping in your head! sounds like some cool ideas there.
    happy crafting
    oddie

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

Hmmm..just been thinking..if a person wanted to make a grouping of colorful plates on a wall? There are some gorgeous all over floral printed napkins on the market-wouldn't it be neat to do some of the clear acrylic plates in the colored tissue and some in the floral print napkins? You could use both the dinner and the salad plate sizes. Inexpensive too! Or even buy the plate hangars so they look even more realistic! How about even edging them in the real gold paint?

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sounds like a real cool idea, have seen so real pretty napkins, if you make these please post photos! love seeing them.
    oddie

• birdhousebonnie
    16 years ago

I cover terra cotta pots in napkins. They really turn out beautifully and noone knows that they are done with napkins! Bonnie

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey birdhousebonnie! sounds like they would be very pretty
    care to share how you do them, can they go outside,or just undercover? and what type of glue do you use to attach and seal them? do you have any photos to share? would love to see them!
    TFS!
    oddie

• birdhousebonnie
    16 years ago

oddie, The first step is to paint the pot inside and out with white acrylic paint, gesso or white lightening (especially if you are using light colored napkins). Set the pot aside to dry and prepare the napkins. I usually find some pretty napkins at Party City. Florals are beautiful. You want something with an allover print. I buy the large dinner napkins, not the small cocktail napkins. First, tear off the strip all around the napkin (do not cut anything with scissors. It will tear nicely on 2 sides and not so nicely on the other 2. This is fine - don't worry about the edge not being that smooth. The reason I tear the edges off is that they have little lines running through them and do not look nice on the pot. The second step is to take off the back white one or two layers and discard them. Take the printed layer and tear it into pieces. Do some long edges that would wrap nicely around and over the lip of the pot and some three or four inch pieces for the rest. Do not cut - tear only. Okay, now the fun part. You can use napkin applique glue or just watered down aleenes tacky glue or white glue. Using a sponge brush, paint a little section of the pot with glue. Set a piece of napkin on it and gently glue over it. Don't move it around too much or it will tear but do get it saturated and reasonably flat (no air pocket). Continue over lapping pieces until the entire outside and bottom are covered (you can later poke a hole in the drainage hole). I usually go about an inch or so to the inside, just so it doesn't show, but you can do the entire inside if you like. Let it dry, then go back over it with glossy Mod Podge. You can give it just one coat or two if you like. Done. I have never put them outside, but I have used them for plants, and since when they are dry, they are harder than a rock so to speak, watering the plant never affects them. I think in this long post I have described how to make them, but if you have any other questions, ask and I will check back. By the long directions, it looks harder than it is. It is messy, but fun and I have taught many children of all ages to do this. It is funny when they leave a few spots entirely uncovered but think it is totally beautiful and it is because they made it themselves. The pots end up looking painted - noone ever guesses that they are napkins. I do not know how to put a picture online. Sorry. Bonnie

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for all the info! I know it took awhile to type all of that, think I have it, now to find some pretty napkins, and pots, been thinking it could be done on most any pots, have a few plastic ones and a cute napkin, I picked up at our local junk store, will have to try them frist and see what happens, sounds like you have had alot of fun makeing these! would make beautiful mothers day gifts, filled with silk flowers.
    Thanks agine for shareing!
    oddie
    PS its real easy to post photos from photobucket,on the painting fourm there are directions,and its free to join! would love to see your beautiful pots.